1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a good tone with a LMII + Warwick bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zenrad, Apr 2, 2009.

1. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I was able to get a LMII for a good price and I'm not sure I like it enough to keep it. I've been searching the forum and I found a number of good threads on the LMII's sound, but I'd like to ask those of you who use an LMII with similar gear which settings you're using on the head.

Here's my gear
    Warwick Corvette Standard 5 - passive
    Epifani PS112 (x2) (horns barely on)
    LMII

I started with the EQ knobs set flat and the VLE+VPF off, but it sounded dull and lifeless. I ended up with:

Low at 2:00
    Mid Low at 10:30
    Mid High at 4:00
    High at 2:30
    VLE off
    VPF at 9:00

My old amp is a B2Re, and while nowhere near as loud, with the bass knob up a bit and the mids and highs cut it has a full crisp sound that the LMII just can't seem to duplicate. I know that sounds like sacrilege :bag: but I figure I'm either not doing something right or this head is just not for me.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With that much boost on the High and mid high plus the scoop from the VPF, I'd think it would be taking the top of your head right off. Are you using the preamp knob at the right setting?

3. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Sorry I can't really help...but let me know when you're selling it! :D

4. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    So, you're trying to duplicate a sound that has its mids and highs cut, and you do this by cranking the highs, upper mids, and VPF while not touching the VLE? That seems...counterproductive.

5. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    When comparing the two amps (one plugged into each speaker) the B2Re is clearly voiced differently, so when each is set flat there is a glaring difference with the Ampeg light in the bass and with more highs.

Normally my Ampeg is at
    Bass (40Hz) 2:00
    Ultra-Mid (400Hz) 2:00
    Treble (8kHz) 2:00

To approach this sound on the LMII I need to boost the Low (40Hz) Mid High (800Hz) and the High (10K) and cut the Mid Low (360Hz)

The direction of the knob travel has nothing to do with it because each amp does not sound the same when set flat - the Ampeg is already brighter and seems to emphasise the frequencies around and on either side of 800Hz.

So in essense, I have to boost the highs on the LMII to equal the sound of the cut highs on the Ampeg. When all is done I ended up with the settings I mentioned.

6. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I'm doing this in my small home studio at lower levels - The preamp gain is set to 1:00 and the Master is set a little under 9:00 and I can only play for a short time before my ears need a break. That's still wall-rattling loud in my small studio room.

I've yet to take it to a band practice, but at this point I'm just doing an A/B with the two amps at a similar volume to see how close I can get to the sound I'm used to.

7. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    Hm. Well, I've got a 5-string Corvette, myself, and I ordered a LMII and Epifani UL2-410 a couple days ago, so I guess I'll see what you mean soon enough. : \

8. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ok, I spent a few hours with this head after moving it out of the small studio. Bottom line - it's a keeper. I rolled back all of the extreme settings I had and played it both alone and with a drum machine and some guitar tracks at a decent volume through the PA speakers. Bass a hair past flat, low mids cut a little, at about 11:00, high mids at about 1:00 and highs just past flat. VLE off and VPF at 8:00. I use the volume and tone controls on my bass for tonal variation and I'm very happy now.

Trying to A/B this with another head was a waste of time IMO. This head has its own vibe, the more I play it the more I like it. I just had to spend a little time with it and get it in a larger space where I could hear the cabs properly I guess. I'm really looking forward to taking this to band practice and using it in a live setting.

I have a feeling you're going to like it, the UL2-410 is a very nice cab and my guess is that it will be a great compliment to this head.