1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Averno, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Averno

Averno

Apr 14, 2009
    Howdy, I'm gettin a new rig and i wanted to float a ballon here to see what people might suggest. i have a few ideas myself, but i'll keep those to myself as to not make this a "coke vs. pepsi" discussion. i'm looking for a new cab and head set up, a few filters i DO have are:

1. price is not an issue.
    2. i do not want a 8x10. some sound great, but unless it comes with jessica biel in naughty underwear to move it around for me, i'll pass.;)
    3. i play metal, and im looking for dirty freaking louder than hell growl.
    4. the less maintenance the better.
    5. ease of transport is also a big plus.

anyhow, the more opinions the better. thanks in advance.:)

2. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I suggest the G-B Shuttlemax 12.0 + NEOX 212T cabs. Works for me.

gb_rig_02.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa Big Block 750, and a pair of Powerhouse 1200 cabs. You'd rule the world.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Carvin's BX1200 + BRX 10.4 stack. 1200w RMS of crushing power into a 1200w 4x10 cab that's tuned very deep for ballshaking lows. On sale for the sick price of just over a grand. You can add another BRX cab later for a 400w x 400w bi-amped beast, but you won't need it.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Aguilar DB750 + GS412

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    All of these are very good suggestions. I've heard the Mesa BB 750 + Powerhouse cab and it kills. I've heard the GB stack but with only one cab, great sound. That Aguilar stack is enough for concert halls but you have to like the warm, round sound of the head. The Mesa can get warm but also has the punchy attack if you like to pick hard. The Carvin is clean (almost GK like) but adding DRIVE gives it a bit a that "Trace" grind. I'll add another one for kicks; GK2001rbII + GK412 NEO.

7. Averno

Averno

Apr 14, 2009
    excellent, thanks for the responses, any thoughts/opinions on the boogie titan v-12?

8. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Some fantastic suggestions so far, and I agree with pretty much all of them. I would like to toss out the Genz Benz GBE-1200 with an Uber 410... fantastic rig. I've used my GBE 1200 for years and it really does the job - combining the channels with some tube overdrive keeps it punchy with some killer grit. Love it.

9. That looks like a stone mother****er of a rig.

-jb

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Bingo! NEOX-212T (600 watts RMS, 50 lbs.) X 2 (stacked in a line array for the best horizontal sound dispersion) + a ShuttleMAX 12.0 (two 600 watt RMS power amps, 6.75 lbs.) = 1,200 watts RMS, 106.75 lbs.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Titan is a bigger, more complicated version of the BB750. They sound fantastic, and huge, but they have 2 chanels, and way too many knobs for my taste. Almost bought one in '06, but backed out because of the knob issue. 1200 Mesa watts is serious bussiness.

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I use one NEOX-212T cab with my GBE 1200 as my main rig in my drop-tuned band - love it! No volume issues at all, and tons of low punch. I have 2 of them but have yet to use them together... intriguing :eyebrow:.