Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting Geddy's Sound :D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePowerOfOne, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ThePowerOfOne

ThePowerOfOne

Jan 6, 2005
    Canada
    Hello everyone! I absolutely love Geddy Lee and his sound. I have his signature bass and the Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp he uses. I have been trying to mimic his tone with not too much success :(. Do any of you know how he sets his preamp or know somewhere that I could find out? Thanks alot for the help.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I was nailing the tone tonight with my SABDDI with everything around 12 o clock give or take and my Boss GEB-7 with 400Hz and 500Hz(or whatever freq the next slider is) up about halfway. I was using this Bartolini loaded bass
    http://parallex.org/pics/other/geddy4.jpg

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Well before someone else say's it's in his fingers, The way he plays now it actually is in his index finger. He uses his index finger and fingernail to rake the string, makes a distint "Dugga-dugga-dugga" sound.

If your talking about the past, He's had many different tones in the past with his Wal's, Steinbergers, Ric's

4. ThePowerOfOne

ThePowerOfOne

Jan 6, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks! Are the controls for the BDDI the same or similar to the RBI rackmount?

5. ThePowerOfOne

ThePowerOfOne

Jan 6, 2005
    Canada
    Hello again, sorry for not being clearer on what I'm aiming for. The tone im trying to get is his more modern stuff like on Test for Echo, Vapour Trails, and Rush In Rio(drools). Sorry for not saying that earlier. Thanks again!

6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    So let me get this straight.

You love Geddy Lee so you bought his signature bass, you bought the same pre-amp he uses AND you're Canadian and STILL can't mimic his sound?

:smug:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ROFL..............

holy s**t that's funny................ :p

8. ...you also need to route your signal via a Trace Elliot Quatravalve head under the stage, too.

/:cool: \

9. One of the main things that makes his tone is that he uses the neck pickup as a thumbrest. I think most people use the bridge pickup as a thumbrest (I know I do). It really makes a difference when you move up there. You can hear the Geddy tone then.

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    bridge pickup as thumbrest? I thought most people use the nick...I do...

11. I've been using the neck-pu as a thumb-rest, but when I'm looking for more of that "Geddy" sound I reach back there and dig in around the bridge-pu.

- Andrew

12. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    when im trying to sound like someone else i often wonder ........Why???? LOL i love doing it MY way! ;)

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FWIW, when i look for a geddy tone i play much nearer to the bridge and dig in. I also set up my sans amp with all controls at 12 except i turn treble down to about 11 o clock, juice presence up to about 1 or 2 o clock, and set the drive to the point where it just begins to distort a tiny bit on the attack of the notes. The other thing i noticed is that the fender 75 reissue jazz sounds a lot more "geddy" than the geddy lee jazz. I've been told that the pickups in the 75 reisue have a lot to do with this. You might want to think about buying a set of the pickups fender puts in the 75 reissue and dropping them into your geddy jazz

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    They supposedly use the same pickups in each model. But the 75RI has the bridge pickup closer to the bridge.

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You just need three dryers behind your rig. Easy as cake.

16. During this time, he was using a bank of 4 front-loaded electric dryers. When they're on the 'Permanent Press' setting, they put out those signature Geddy tones. :D

Seriously though...it's really in his hands. If you've got all that gear and still can't cop his tone, it just comes down to the fact that you're you and he's Geddy, and ne'er the twain shall be the same.

17. Dammit Hollowman...that was my joke. :bawl:

18. It's not the gear, it's the technique.