1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting that Geezer tone in Heaven and Hell

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gnr_her, Oct 24, 2009.

1. hi guys, I'm playing in a heavy rock band a la Sabbath and i'm a huge fan of Geezer's tone.

So the thing is that i have the P bass, I have the 300w tube amp... and what about the strings?
    I know that in the early years he played with light rounds... but the tone i want this:

3:07

I think that he's using Labella's Black Beautis... the sound is in the middle of a flat and rounds...
    Would some GHS Precision flatwounds sound like that? I have a local dealer who is almost give them free...

2. Rushlover13

Rushlover13

Jul 7, 2009
    Half wounds by DR ring a bell?

3. DR Strings

DR Strings

Feb 24, 2006
    Emerson, NJ
    Mktg. Executive, DR HandMade Strings
    Geezer's been using our Black Beauty 45's and 50's over the last 5-6 years.

4. You've got to realize,too,that ol' Geezer is using a bass with a P & J pick-up configuration.So,he gets a little more "edge/bite",to his tone from the bridge pick-up.
    So,my logic is:
    If he's using a ground-wound string (a string in between rounds & flats),I would go with a Round wound string to get a little more "bite" outta that P-Bass,of yours.

Good Luck,