GHS Boomers on Fender Precision 5 (winding legth)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by M4verick, May 5, 2018.

1. M4verick

M4verick

Nov 24, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    I apologise if this has been asked already but I've found only 1 topic on that matter and it was unclear.

I'm waiting for my brand new Fender professional P-V to arrive and I want to change the stock strings right away.

Always liked the GHS boomers for the growl but read they're only 36,5 inch on winding (i want the hex core ones).

I want to use the string through body option, can anyone confirm that the string length will be enough to install string through body without the silk winding connecting the nut ?

Have anyone install the boomers on their professional Vers ? if so can you provide any pics of the headstock ?

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Bass Boomers have had a 37” winding length since 1993, but the packaging never changed to reflect that; it still said 36.5”. Some of the larger gauges (around .130 or so) were still 36.5” which made a lot of this confusing.

Last summer I rewrote the specs to give them an extra .25” (so they’d ALL be 37.25”). I haven’t checked to make sure that they’ve all moved over, but it’s probably a safe bet.

TonyP- and M4verick like this.
  3. M4verick

M4verick

Nov 24, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    Oh so the hex core ones (5 string set 45-130) have 37,25 winding as well and it's.only a website typo ?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you look in the back of the bass, you'll see that the string ferules are actually quite deep. I would wager there is virtually no difference between the length of string to the nut when top loading or going string through. I have to learn a few songs later today and will measure mine and let you know. I'll make a tiny marker mark at the nut on a string top loaded and one strung through and let you know if there's even a difference. I may be surprised but for now I think the difference is minimal at best.

I always top load anyway. I have never been able to hear a difference. I have even strung a set every other string top loaded and string through on my 5 string P before and couldn't hesr or feel even the slightest difference. So I left it that way until the strings went dead and top loaded ever since.

M4verick likes this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^Bingo-Zingo!^^^ Same here.

M4verick likes this.
  6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    As said, they’ve been changed over a while back, but I haven’t checked to guarantee that the old stock is gone. It’s a really safe bet that it is, but until I can check that and confirm everything, the website has stayed where it is.

M4verick likes this.
  7. M4verick

M4verick

Nov 24, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    thanks alot I give them a shot, then

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I put GHS Boomers on an American Standard and strung it through the body with no issues. Strings fit perfectly.

M4verick likes this.
  9. M4verick

M4verick

Nov 24, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    Splendid !:)

10. M4verick

M4verick

Nov 24, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    Ok so just for everyone in the future interested to know - they indeed perfectly fit. Put them yesterday without any problems, the length is perfect.

Thanks again for the replies.

michael_t likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021