1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Progressives Opinions???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EZ9R, Mar 16, 2010.

1. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    Anyone tried or use GHS Progressives? If so, any opinion.
    Any difference than Every B52's besides the tapered E string?
    Or any difference than GHS Boomers?
    Thx

2. joeman583

joeman583

Apr 8, 2006
    Love them!

3. I love Progressives, though the tapered E string works best on string-through-body style bridges. The taper can affect intonation on no string through body bridges.

GHS Boomer52's are almost exactly the same, cheaper, and have no tapered E (though the core is different.) You can find them on juststrings.com.

I'm just about ready to write an extensive review of all the Alloy 52 strings I've tried, I just need to work through my set of Everly B52's.

I've currently used and compared, Progressives, Boomer52s and Rotosound Nexus strings. Are there any other alloy 52 strings I can try?

4. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    I have a '08 Amer. Fender Jazz. The E string, I go through the bridge, but the A,D and G, I got through the body. Took a second to intonate the E string.
    Does GHS still make Boomers52? I thought they stopped however I see they still sell the at juststrings.com

5. Just curious, why did you take the E string through the bridge and not through the body? The tapered E string works perfect for that.

Yeah, I think GHS has stopped manufacturing Boomer52s, and juststrings might be selling through old stock...

6. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    The contact core wouldn't fit if I went through the body. I bought 3 sets from juststrings and the E string is wound the same. Good QC from GHS.
    I have a set of Fender 8250 with the contact core E String and it's much longer until it starts the wound.
    I have my bass pretty much set to Fender Specs. Rough intonate the G string to 34" or 17" from the 12th fret and the D string is back the width of the string. In this case, .065 and so on.
    Does the E string on your GHS Progressive "Saddle Hugger" reach?

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    These are the only strings I use on my Rickenbacker 4002. I got it in 1992, and after a year of experimenting with strings, I settled on a set of custom gauges of 45-60-80-105, which are more balanced and closer to RIC factory gauges. They are the only string that on this bass has consistent tone and feel and last significantly longer for me.

I believe the "Alloy-52" wrap has more iron content in it, which I need, since my had perspiration chemistry eats nickel, so stainless goes thud and conventional nickel-plated strings go wonky after only a couple of gigs.

Yes, twenty years of Progressives and going strong.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've got the GHS Progressives on my P bass. Love them. The thing I really like about the "saddle hugger" low E is how much stronger the sound comes thru as opposed to a standard E string like on the Boomer sets I tried. It comes thru much more even with the other strings. More punch in my opinion.

Great tension too. Not loose by any means but not as stiff as the set of DR Lo-Riders that I tried. Great feeling strings and the purple thread windings look pretty cool too!

9. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    +1. I've used them for a while on my Streamer LX 6 and my Corvette Std 5 and really enjoy the attack I get from them. They seem to last a while in their "just broken in" tonal stage as well.

10. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I've just stringed my stingray with fresh set of progressives. while always liked GHS (boomers in my case) this set is awfull due to E string which sound loose and too zingy and noisy. tappered string perhaps,but still!? what a shame for GHS!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020