1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS tape wounds on Ibanez SRH505 B string Sounds Weak

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I just put a set of GHS tapes on my SRH505 semi Hollow Bass and E through G sound fine but the B string is very low output. Yes I made sure all the strings were in their saddles properly and nothing else changed. It sounded fine with the chromes on it . I was just looking for a little more of an upright sound . the output is weak and it does not ring / has no sustain. The B is a ,130. Any Ideas ?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Have you tried to adjust the individual trim potentio at the back to level piezo gain across all strings?

J_Bass likes this.
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Yes I did it was just a louder dull thud. All of the other strings ring out fine . I can make the B louder but no clarity or sustain. Thank you for the Suggestion

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Another thing you might need to look is the nut, particularly how the low-B string sits on its slot channel since you are now using larger diameter low-B with those tape wound strings.

I've used .135 string on a couple Ibanez basses. I've never had to file any of the low-B nut slots larger in order to fit in the .135 string, but sure they were tight. Could be that yours was filed just what was needed for the stock .132 Chromes to fit in, which became too tight for the .135 tape wound string, thus it isn't sitting on the slot channel correctly which then causing the lack of clarity and sustain that you are experiencing.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The B according to the Package is a .130 So if the chrome was .132 it should have room . But It is a very good Idea and I will check because That could be it although I don't remember it being a very tight fit. Thanks again

6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Owhhh... I didn't realize there's a .130 low-B tapewound. I own several low-B tapewounds, from D'Addario and La Bella, all of them are .135. But yeah, GHS made their low-B tapewound in .130. It should be okay on SRH nut slot channel.

Could you post the pic of your SRH headstock, zooming on the nut and the low-B string post / tuner?

7. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I will tonight when I get home from work. I put the chromes back on it but can put the tape wound B back on and take the picture if the nut/post area

8. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Well thank you for having me look at the tuning peg nut area because when I went the other direction and looked at the bridge and saw it was out of the saddle . Now it thumps but like it is supposed to. I appreciate your help and suggestions

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Owhh... I thought you've taken care of the saddle thing as you wrote in the opening post. So, it's good then... Enjoy your Aerium. :bassist:

10. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    It was in the saddle when I first tuned it up and it sounded good I played it for a while and put it away . The next time I played it, It was sounding dull and it looked like the string was in the saddle but at some point it just popped out and with that bridge it is hard to tell just at a quick glance so I thought all was well but it was not and your suggestion lead me to the problem.