1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson 5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XsSpeed, Mar 16, 2013.

1. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Did or does Gibson ever make 5 string versions of their basses? I saw the Epiphone t-bird 5 but no Gibsons....

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've seen 5 string T-birds before...

- georgestrings

4. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    A re-issue of one of their full scale designs in a 5er would be a cool idea. The Artist, Victory, Gibson 5, Non-reverse T-Bird, even the new Midtown, would all seem to be good candidates.

What other models would make a good 5er for Gibson?

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Gibson sold a Studio Thunderbird 5 string for a few years.

6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Gibson made some Les Paul 5 string basses back in the 1990's. And more recently they made that 5 string version of the Thunderbird Studio bass that someone else mentioned.

Gibson has a history of trying to do some interesting things with their basses. Especially on the wood & pickup fronts. But I have to shake my head at where they continue to fail, despite the fact that Gibson acquired one of the best independent bass building shops in the U.S. - TOBIAS.

Headstock breakage continues to be an issue. This is pretty easy to resolve. Pickup placement has been questionable, and the tone of some of their bridge pickups is not so great. And their choice of bridges has very much been suspect, focusing more on the cosmetic than the functional.

7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I believe Gibson made a Les Paul Bass V for a few years, maybe 1992-1995. I have this Gibson Studion Thunderbird from 2000. I'm not sure how many years they made the
    T-bird 5er, though.

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    There was the completely antiseptic gibson bass V which of you need to see one there's one on EBay right now for about a grand...
    It's based on no other bass they ever manufactured and may be the most generic 5 string ever produced.

Epiphone made an EB-0 V that kinda failed too. The neck pickup and the bridge pickup are half a mile apart!

9. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    36992_l.

190306983965-4. 190306983965-1.

W-WeMLzDK49gaVYNUjXIMg.

bQQe5-uhGFILz_f0mTcOYg.

11. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I'd love to have a Les Paul 5 string, but the spacing is, what like 16mm? Too narrow for me.