1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson EB 2013 / 2014 vs. Lakland Decade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nerve, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Gibson EB 2013 / 2014

66.7%
  2. Lakland Decade

33.3%
  3. Carrots, because they're far better for you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    Brethren, I am not a greedy man but I find myself at odds between two beautiful and useful basses; the Gibson EB (produced 2013 and 2014 only) and the Lakland Decade (Skyline for price parity, single coil Chi Sonics for the win).

I like unique basses, but only when they sound good too. I also value tone versatility. Both the Gibson and the Lakland offer these things with their own brand of mojo. I could get into the specifics of what I like (thinner neck, etc) but instead I thought I'd open this question up to the TalkBass faithful and make it about you.

So what say you? If you were making this decision for yourself, what would you pick?

2. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    Bump, because the people deserve to know.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I have a 2013 EB. I like it. The finish is rough (intentionally), which it seems that a lot of people didn’t care for. The pickguard was brittle and a very ugly fake tort, so I replaced mine. It’s not wholely Gibson, with ash body and maple neck, but it leans that way. Kind of the gateway Gibson for Fender players. While not huge, the neck isn’t thin either, more like a D-profile P neck. I enjoy it for what it is - a solid bass that I don’t have to baby, plays well, hot thunderous pickups. It has a lot of tones, but like any other bass, I tend to stick to just two or three.

No experience with the Lakland.

Nerve likes this.
  4. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    Fantastic feedback, thanks! Do you think it's able to cop a Thunderbird tone if coaxed?

5. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I haven’t A/B’d with a Tbird directly. Gets kind of in the range, I guess. The pickups aren’t traditional Tbird pickups, though I think they share the same shape/footprint and I think they used them on the Tbird for a couple of years. They’re still using them in the current EB.

Nerve likes this.
  6. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    Ah, I thought I had read something about that. Thanks for confirming. Not as aggressive I assume?

7. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Again, haven’t A/B’d directly, but they’re pretty beefy and aggressive.

Nerve likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020