1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson G3 Original Finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GhostsnVodka, May 1, 2015.

1. GhostsnVodka

GhostsnVodka

Dec 5, 2013
    Hello all.

I found a listing on CL for a 1982 Gibson G3 that I am very interested in, but I am curious as to whether it's the original finish.

1982 Gibson G3 bass

The finish is red but the bass has a Maple neck.
    Everything I have read has said that in '82 they made these in red, but the necks were rosewood.

Can anyone offer any insight?

2. GhostsnVodka

GhostsnVodka

Dec 5, 2013
    Bump. Any Gibson experts?

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Since I bought mine in 1979 when I was 15, you could call me an expert. It is real. Buy it now. Treasure it. They are great basses and will only appreciate in desirability , if not value.

The only thing I see is no holes for the bridge cover. Maybe refinished but that's ok on a G-3 IMO. They just aren't as collectable as Fenders which makes no sense since they are good instruments and rare to boot.

Beautiful G-3.

4. GhostsnVodka

GhostsnVodka

Dec 5, 2013
    Thanks for the info!

I believe the '82s didn't have the bridge cover so that seems normal.
    I'm meeting the guy tomorrow, so as long as everything works as it should I will most likely buy it.

5. Brendan Richko

Brendan Richko

Sep 14, 2014
    I was gonna buy it.

6. Brendan Richko

Brendan Richko

Sep 14, 2014
    Its an original and you're so lucky you got it for such a good price. I have a friend who bought the same color for $2,500. Oh well, theres another red one(not original) that Im going to get. Same price