1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Grabber

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaco944, Nov 6, 2018.

1. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
  2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    You never know, I have bought some very under priced vintage gear at GC.

B-Mac and 10cc like this.
  3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Says it has a new pickguard and bridge, That's about the right price. I'd be more worried about the neck, mine was starting to warp and I got rid of it.

4. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    The pics won't load on my laptop. I've been GASsing hard for a Ripper, but this might do the trick if I can just sell off my P Bass...

5. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Make sure to get pics and especially the neck. The ripper is another beast all together, they sound different too. Loved my Grabber, it was a beast.

jackn1202 likes this.
  6. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I keep emailing them for pics but no responses yet. I should call but hard to do when I’m at work.

jackn1202 likes this.
  7. I had a grabber years ago, it was fun to have, but I don’t miss it.

As for the price, I can’t imagine spending more than that on one, but maybe my frame of reference goes back too far. I owned mi e in the mid 90s.

As for GC prices, sometimes they sell low. Five years ago I got a 78 fretless P for $800, I literally saw one at Action Music in Falls Church Va today going for $1,800.

8. jaco944

Apr 13, 2005
    Yeah I’ve tried that too before I posted the thread....no luck so far.

9. I have both a Grabber and a Ripper. I also think they are different animals and sound different from each other. To my ears the Grabber has a lighter more "airy" sound while the Ripper has a heavier "ballsy" sound. Both winners to me but for different reasons.

Thump on,

One_Dude

mr zee, B-Mac, 10cc and 1 other person like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The new pickguard part makes me nervous. If it was replaced to fix a damaged rail for the sliding pickup it’s one thing. But I’ve also found Grabbers where the slider wasn’t working properly and the movable pickup just got epoxied down.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Spot on! The Ripper definitely has a more focused (dare I say Prog?) tone whereas the Grabber is pure rock & roll. Kinda like so many twins. One is more reserved while the other is more outgoing.

ajkula66 and 10cc like this.
  12. jaco944

Apr 13, 2005
    I currently have, play and love my G3 and ultimately would like to round out the trilogy with a Grabber and Ripper.....boy I wish I had picked them up in the late ‘80s when you couldn’t give em away.

13. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    anyone on here purchase it? Looks like it’s gone - and the pics never popped up on the website

14. jaco944

Apr 13, 2005
    I emailed a few times for pics, never got a response.

15. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Just email them and ask. Give them your cell number. I've been able to get more pix sent to my email or cell number and actually talk to someone there actually holding the bass in their hands. I've done this several times.

Lots of goodies for sale in their 'vintage' used bass page https://www.guitarcenter.com/Vintage/Bass.gc

16. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Update on this, they got pics up. Definitely not stock, but I'd rock it.

17. I'd like to ask these fellow bassists about an old topic: a case for the grabber. But my main question is: is the Grabber's body width 14 1/2 inches or 14 7/8 inches?
    As most of Grabber buyers, I'm looking for a hardcase that would fit. (I've just bought online a '77 Grabber and sent it to a friend in NYC. He's going to bring it with him when he come to visit me, but the bass will have to go as a checked baggage). I know the Jack Casady, or Rivoli or Eb2 epiphone cases options but as this thread has been for a long time, most of them are gone or more expensive than before.
    The thing is I can find on ebay some hardcases that might fit but the inner body width is usually 14 1/2 and as far as I've researched, some sites claim that the Grabber is 14 1/2 (Gibson Grabber Electric Bass Guitar Technical Information >> FlyGuitars), but I've also found in TB that it's 14 7/8 (Gibson body dimensions). I asked my friend to measure it but he's far from home for some weeks, so... anybody with a ruler and a Grabber could tell me, please?
    Thanks in advance!

18. Dadagoboi likes this.
  19. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
  20. Dadagoboi likes this.