1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Midtown Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Apr 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I was encouraged to do this by starmann who is enamored with his new Midtown. So here we go with what may possibly be the club with the fewest members in Talk Bass history!
    So join us all of you folks who have recently purchased a Gibson Midtown! (I think I know all four of you...)
    Do you love that mahogany semi-hollow goodness? That fat TB Plus at the neck? The mini at the bridge? Does a set neck make you happy? Or does a bound neck tickle your fancy?

Share your love of what I view as one of Gibson's finest bass offerings ever.
    Post a pic, get a member number.....

Here's mine:
    e5837bd6-f9ac-4f05-802b-f6cd2594c020.

6bc7a44c-f65b-4335-a878-5b7f9a2697b1.

IMAG1325.

Member list:
    Loendmaestro#1
    starmann #2
    Iamthebassman #3
    Calexia13 #4

2. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    What the heck, I love mine!!! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1367206462.181836.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1367206485.695774.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio

I’m in a club with six members, so keep it up for a couple days, haha.

Bump.

loendmaestro likes this.
  5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I was waiting for you Ronn! #3 for iamthebassman.

6. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    Hey guys,

Just checking in, I have a sunburst midtown. Although I have changed out the knobs, bridge, truss rod cover, pickups, and strap pins. All reversible mods, and I have learned from past mistakes, i keep everything in a labeled ziplock in a drawer in the garage. I will snap a picture later. Can I get a number Maestro?

Peace!

7. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    Let's see some pictures....

8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    #4 for Calexia13

9. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    Here are some pics for the guy that was second guessing as to whether or not I actually had a midtown bass;)

All of these are reversible. I actually have an SGD sidewinder coming in for the neck pickup. I don't know if you guys have opened up your basses but, the poles are just for show, this is actually a blade pickup, and the magnet seems to be on the bottom instead of the top, also some of the high end is robbed because of the plate it's soldered onto. Another option if you want to keep the same pickup, is to have it rewound and make the pole pieces functional, so if you are missing any highend from the neck pickup those are a few options. For right now, I have a model 1 wired in parallel, might go series though. SGD has a looooooooong wait so it might be in there a while.

I also installed an SGD bridge pickup which is a rare earth metal one I think. It sounds really good, it's fatter and higher output than the stock bridge.

I also really liked these aged gold knobs on it. Oh and I also put a treble bleed circuit on the volume pot, when I had the original neck pickup in it.

I also have a hipshot supertone bridge that I took off to use on my rivoli. They are interchangeable.

Anway here's the pics.

PS - Anybody thought about putting a pickguard on this baby? to me hollowbodies look naked without 'em. anyone else?

Attached Files:

10. Blueskyb2t

Blueskyb2t

Apr 30, 2013
    Ordred mine. Back order from Gibson equals a lot of Time waiting... ;) i'll keep you in touch.. :)

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I ordered a lefty in Sunburst back in December and no sign of it yet. Just found out a lefty in Cherry is available so decided to go for it rather then keep waiting. I should have her next week. Very small club though for sure. My local dealer which is a big national chain here in Canada has only had a handful of these in the country and they all sell right away. Seems like Gibson could sell a ton of these if they wanted to.

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I ordered in November & took delivery in March. I know it's little consolation gentlemen, but it was totally worth the wait.

Good luck!

13. Blueskyb2t

Blueskyb2t

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks ;)

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Hmm...I ordered mine and received it 2 days later, but anyway, it will be worth the wait!!

15. Blueskyb2t

Blueskyb2t

Apr 30, 2013
    When on the neck pickup, do you get an 'eb' type of tone?

16. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    It's definitely boomy, buy way more clarity than a traditional EB. It's a TB Plus ceramic pickup so there's still good definition...just nice fat bottom because of it's placement.

Last night at rehearsal I played it with the neck pickup soloed for almost the entire evening. It sounded great.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    The pickup is closer in looks than in sound. Not that that's bad.

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I am really getting pumped for my Midtown to arrive. Should be next week. Be really interesting so see if these are discontinued soon as the guitar line seems to have been dropped.

19. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    Hey Guys, just want to do a quick poll, whi has rosewood and who has baked maple? Mine is baked maple, and I like the snappyness of it, I could also dig the warmth from the rosewood but The bass I got came with maple. What are your thoughts if any on the matter?

Peace!

20. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    What do you guys think? I am designing a pickguard for the midtown, would like some input from you guys. It's only in template form right now, which is white cardstock, but I was going to ask for a cream colored one, and a black/cream/black, as well as a tort/cream/black from pickguardian. Any input would be welcome...

Cheers!

Ed

Attached Files: