Gibson SG Reissue bass finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LordOrange, Mar 28, 2020.

1. LordOrange

LordOrange

Mar 10, 2020
    UK
    So after having some trouble with a bad seller on eBay who I was going to buy a Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry off, I have been learning towards a 2008 Gibson SG Reissue bass in cherry listed online.
    I want to know what the deal is with these Gibson Reissue basses, why are they cheaper, and also what finish is used on them? Nitro? I can't find specs for them online.
    Thanks.

2. All Gibsons are nitro finish.

What's "cheaper" ? An average SG Bass will run you anywhere from $500-900 depending on a number of things. The ones in "worn" finishes command less than standard ones.

3. LordOrange

LordOrange

Mar 10, 2020
    UK
    Sorry I meant to state it is cheaper compared to the Standard SG. Someone posted in a thread saying they're cheaper because they don't use Nitro.

4. I'll repeat: all Gibsons are nitro.

5. LordOrange

LordOrange

Mar 10, 2020
    UK
    Relax. I'm not doubting you. I was doubting the guy who said it doesn't have a nitro finish, hence why I posted here asking about it.

6. I suggest that you stop by at the club before making a purchase, lot of good info there

SG & EB Bass Club

Happy shopping

7. LordOrange

LordOrange

Mar 10, 2020
    UK
    Ah, awesome thanks for that:)

8. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    "Standard" = high gloss nitro finish, wood grain sealed/filled, Headstock logo is inlayed, some of them had fingerboard inlays as well
    "Worn/Faded" = not high gloss, wood grain feels more raw and unfilled, Headstock logo is screened, fingerboard dots only

There may be other differences, but those are the ones I can think of.

LordOrange likes this.