1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Thunderbird Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by damdam, Jan 13, 2012.

1. damdam

damdam

Jan 13, 2012
    Hi there ! I'm new here.

I need some help guys. I'm looking forward to buy a '98 Gibson thunderbird. At first I thought it was a natural burst but the seller said to me that it has the mention "limited edition" on the back of the head.

Any info about this model? Is it fake or not? What is a "limited edition" model?

Here's some pics.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

[​IMG]

Thanks.

PS: escuse my english :)

2. damdam

damdam

Jan 13, 2012
    No idea?

3. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012
    Not sure. But, the decal on the scratchplate appears to be out slightly (Although this might just be my opinion). So if i were you, Proceed with caution.

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    From what I can see in your pics it's a stock (tho discontinued finish) 'Bird. I'd have to dig around a bit to verify the years Gibson produced this specific finish option. I don't know as it's rare, tho a little uncommon in terms of total numbers finished this way.
    The shot of the body doesn't clearly show the 9ply construction but it's more likely that I just can't see it. Dimensionally in the pics it looks fine too, I can spot a non Gibson 'Bird pretty easily, the curves and overall shape of the body and headstock look legit too me.

5. looks okay i like the natural finish

6. damdam

damdam

Jan 13, 2012
    Thanks guys !

I'm gonna post new pics from the seller ASAP.