gig gear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oathbass462, Feb 15, 2006.

1. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    i have my band's first gig coming up in july and were starting to work on some good songs,and i was wonder what we should plan on looking for in the live equipment section. what size amps should we use for a backyard gig being played off of a deck at a yard the size of 1/2 a football field, 3/4 of which will be used for the party. what microphone amps are good, cuz we cant keep running it through a guitar amp forever? we can each go up to about 100 watts with our amps, and i'm using a fender rumble 100 as my amp. any thing i should also know about gigging would be appreciated and helpful. thanks.

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This is more of a Misc thing, let's move over there.........

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    well i would say the best thing for the microphones would be a PA system. You can pick up a really cheap one for around $100 or if you got some cash you could pick up a decent system for around $600-800. If you get a PA that would amplify the mics enough and if someone else isn't loud enough (their amp isn't cutting it) they could plug into the PA too. If you get a PA with enough inputs you guys could all plug into the PA and use your amps as monitors (but make sure they are facing the crowd if the PA volume isn't loud enough).

How big is your band? How many members? What instruments? How many people will be at the party? Is this a paid event? Do you know the people? What type of music is being played? What ages are the people that are going to be there (for volume purposes)?

I know thats a lot of questions but that would help me help you out more.

I have played some large indoor gigs (corporate stuff) and so i think i could help you out if you have more questions.
  4. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    4 members. we have a guitar/singer, a 2nd guitar, me on bass and a drummer. for this gig we're playing classic rock covers, stones, zep, floyd, ac/dc etc with a couple more recent songs (man in the box, and for whom the bell tolls) plus a small improvised blues jam in the middle. theres probably around 100 people, maybe more, not paid it's just a party that were playing at for fun. we do know most of the people, it's being held at my uncles house, and the ages vary from 15 - 60. mostly middle aged people.
  5. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    yeah man then i would definately invest in a PA system. If you guys don't have a lot of cash you can get one used or just rent one. With 2 guitars, vocal, and bass thats only 4 inputs which is the size of a standard small PA system. The drummer should be loud enough by himself. Use your amps (again, facing toward the audience to increase volume if need be) and the PA. Heck, the PA would probably pump enough volume but you wouldn't be able to hear yourselves.

If you don't wanna spend money, then just use the amps you have. In the case of the vocals you can get a 1/4" cord splitter at radio shack and put the mic in one of the amps (probably the loudest one since it does cut the volume in half). Or if one of the amps has another input use that. If you need to get another amp for the vocals you could take this approach:

1. Lots of money - You should've just bought the PA
    2. Not a whole lot of money - Buy a cheap (any brand) 25 - 50 watt amp and plug the mic into that. Vocals are on a higher frequency so they carry more than the bass and so forth.
    3. Absolutely no money at all - Ask one of your buddies from school or someone you know to just borrow their amp for the day. Treat it right and you shouldn't have any problems.

For the mic, i don't know what you use, but for around $100 you can buy a really awesome vocal mic, Shure SM58. They are REALLY good mics for the money. Shure makes great products. If you don't have money, just use whatever you got. ALso, on the EQ for the mic i would cut the bass some and boost the treble.

The volume of the jams will depend. When the people get there, they will absorb the sound (their bodies) so it won't be as loud as it was when you practiced (im guessing you'll practice before they come). So, VERY IMPORTANT, go up to whoever is in charge (probably your uncle) and just be like "hey after we play a couple songs or so could you tell us if we need to turn the volume up or down, or any suggestions on the EQ or anything". They should tell you how loud they want it.

Other than that man, if you have other questions id be glad to help, i hope this helps, i know its a lot.

6. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    some other small pointers

1. its not your gig (your party), whatever happens don't be offended or have an attitude. If they tell you to stop jamming, don't take it personally, CATER TO THEIR EVERY NEED, just please the people man and it will turn out well

2. Take comments and criticisms professionally. This is a hard one for musicians because the music means so much to us.

4. PRACTICE LIKE THE DICKENS BEFORE HAND!!! Make sure everything is worked out and well planned. Make a set list and decide what songs to play where and stuff.

5. The stuff in between songs - Don't noodle on your bass (or let the other people noodle on their instruments, this is VERY unprofessional). If the singer dude wants to say the song titles or something or give a little joke or story, KEEP IT BRIEF, you're not up their to recite poetry you're there to play.

6. Just be professional man

Sorry some of this stuff sounds a little harsh i don't mean it to be. I've just had some experiences where sh*t got out of hand and that's how you don't get called back (for more gigs or references).

7. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    nah that didnt come across as harsh til ya use that word. both lists are great advice. k, to business. neil (our singer/guitar) has an amp thats 115 watts that has 2 inputs. charlie, the other guitar, has a 60 watt fender amp. we could plug both guitars into one amp. that frees up the 60 for the mic. that means we only need to find 1 other amp, cuz some of the songs have back vocals.

set list is:

thunderstruck -ac/dc
    another one bites the dust - queen
    for whom the bell tolls - metallica
    pinball wizard - the who
    whole lotta love - led zeppelin
    rain fall down - stones
    purple haze - hendrix
    money - floyd
    man in the box - alice in chains
    riders of the storm - the doors
    come as you are - nirvana
    you shook me all night long - ac/dc
    sweet home alabama - lynyrd skynyrd
    run to the hills - maiden
    comfortably numb - floyd
  8. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    yeah man that sounds like a good deal to me, and if the 60 watter cranks enough power, you could just by a cord splitter and have the other mic, or mics go off that. You might not need anything after all.

9. boris

Dec 15, 2005
    That set list looks very familiar... Infact, for my bands very first show about 4 years ago we used a guitar amp (marshall 60 watt i think)for the vocals. It worked out okay. In some of the louder songs you couldn't really hear our singer. But hey, who cares about singers anyway?

Good luck with everything
  10. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    ya actually i was on the phone for an hour with my guitar player and we took out for whom the bell tolls and man in the box, and replace them with the man who sold the world and stairway to heaven as a finisher. we also put in jump by van halen.