1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gigging with one 15" speaker

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by backplains, Apr 29, 2010.

1. backplains

backplains

Sep 16, 2009
    I'm gigging a small venue about 100 people and I damaged one of my EV ZX4 15" passive speakers. I'm wondering if I could use the other speaker lone. I'm using a Yamaha EMX 512 powered mixer (500 per channel) with one acoustic guitar, one active Bass and two mics...It sounds like I have enough, but I'm not sure.
    Anybody out there gigged with one speaker only...I'm in the process of getting JBL powered later on. Thank You guys:meh:

2. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    I think it was Defense Secretary Rumsfeld who said "You've gotta go with what you've got." [in answer to questions about why US troops in Iraq were riding around in HumVees that had no armor plating underneath.]

I've nver had to play with one PA speaker, but if that's all I had, I woud put it center stage rear, at a height of 6' if possible.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd bring an actual bass amp, and leave the bass out of the PA speaker.

4. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    not trying to open up a whole can of worms, but the L/R system design was only a product of traveling bands looking for a quick inexpensive set up that can be put up and taken down with minimal effort. prior to that most sound systems actually relied upon either a single or cluster of speakers position around dead center above the stage.
    So, my answer is yes. Yes, you can get a way with one 15 for a small venue like that, maybe even bigger. However, you'll want to try to position it as center as possible.

5. Not trying to dispute but, that must have been way before my time. I've been playing since the mid sixties, and PA was always configured with L/R speakers to facilitate spatial coverage. Many old movie theaters in the forties (way before stereo) generally used three or two cabs for coverage. (My dad used to do theater sound system installations.)

6. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    I would do what has been suggested...
    Single P/A cab center stage. You don't go thru the P/A.
    Play thru your own combo/amp/cab.. whatever you got.

7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I've seen plenty of duos use just a single speaker for everything. Should work for a smaller gig like that just fine.