Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700RB with EUB...over-growl?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tornadobass, Aug 26, 2004.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've been using my GK 700RB and Avatar CB112 with my BugBass with great success in the 4 piece jump blues band.

However, at the last gig, I needed more volume than usual in a room filled with hard surfaces...turned up the input gain and boost a bit, along with a bit of hi-mid. All three gain stages were about straight up. It sounded a bit too nasty that way and the guitar player thought I might have been clipping the amp.

My guess instead is that I'd accidentally set up my sound for the famous GK growl, which may not be the best tone for a EUB. I backed off the hi-mid, added a touch of contour, backed off the boost a bit and pushed the master...produced a much warmer sound with the same volume.

Anybody else run into this with EUB or URB?

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hi,
    I've recently acquired a Clevinger EUB and have been using the same setup with the exception of another CB112. I found that I need to set my gain at about 12:00, roll the treble off to about 10:00, high-mids flat, low mids about 1:00, bass at 2 or 3. The contour is at about 11 and presence off. I roll the boost back to about 12 (may be just over that). THat seems to produce a pretty warm tone sans growl. For added warmth, and depending on the room, I use the 4/5 string switch. That really fills out the bottom.
    Any help?

3. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Two CB112 cabs...wow...that'd be a solid sound! Mine's a 4 ohm cab, so I can use just one. But it's for smaller settings or medium places with PA support, so it's fine...my amp's master doesn't get much past noon.

I think the key to what you've described is the Contour setting...as the manual says "drops the mid-range frequencies while boosting lows & highs." When I got that excess growly sound, the Contour was off with a bit of extra high mids...fine when the band was playing, but nasty when I was on my own.

The other EQ settings you mentioned are probably the difference between the Clevinger's sound and the BugBass' sound via it's BassMax pickup. At most gigs, the Bug has plenty of bottom and I need to push the mids to add some clarity in the mix. Never had a need to cut the treble, and the cab's horn is only on a little bit.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I cut the treble because the old (this is a 1986 model) bridge piezo sounds a little honky. I'm still trying to dial in the right sound-- the one in my head. I've only had it for about a month. I do like the growl with my G&L L2K-- really cuts through the mix.

I would like a 4 ohm cab--that would certainly make my load in/out easier. ;)

5. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I remember that old Clevinger sound...I was loaned an older Clevinger for a month or so...it had two different pickups on it. The instrument played nicely, but I never really liked the tone from either pickup...a bit harsh, I recall. The Bug's tone from the simple BassMax > volume control is much nicer.

BTW, did I mention that my gigging electric bass, for the rare times I use it, is an L-1000. Another case of functional simplicity!

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Great minds, eh? :D I really like the G&L sound-- I've had 3, but held onto the L2K.