1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK backline 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vyse933, Mar 31, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    hey, first post here. I recently got my backline 600 and love it to death. At the moment im playing on an ibanez starter package bass....wish suprisly kicks alot a tush....and for a cab i'm using a 100 watt handling 1x15 vocal subwoofer...hence my next quistion. I wanna know what cabinet somebody would recomend for my backline 600. I at first planed on going with the backline 4x10, but have read reviews and decided against it. I know for sure i want a 4x10, but i dunno what one i wanna get...not to mention i wanna stay around 300$. Some of the reviews (of the head and the 4X10 cab) i read said with the head it'd be a good idea to go with something that handles at least 300 watts at 4-ohms..but hey, thier just reviews.
    The only thing i've found so far that seems any good and is in the price range is this ashdown 4x10 http://www.wwbw.com/Ashdown-MAG-410T-deep-i132185.music

any comments or recomendations will be appreciated

~kaja~

2. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Yeah, Ashdowns are great. Ive read they have great low end. also another brand you should check out is harkte. theyre great and around 300 bucks. but other wise, ashdown is probably you best choice that I know of.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Do a search for "Avatar".

4. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list bass.htm

Would it make sense to get one of those four by tens, that are all rated at or over 1200 watts, when my head can only put out 300 watts at 8 ohms and 180 watts at 4 ohms?

5. definately! you're not going to be playing through such a low watt amp forever. however, you may want that avatar cab forever! i've heard nothing but good things so far about avatar, and i plan on getting myself some avatars.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Before auditioning speakers with the BL600, read my geeky review, which tells how to dial it flat:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/gkbl600.pdf

I actually marked the flat settings on my BL600 with a permanent marker. Now I can have a flat amp whenever I want.

By default, the BL600 has about 8 dB of bass boost, which is going to make a lot of speakers seem boomy, even if they are not. You might decide that you still want some EQ, but I think that starting with a flat voicing is the best way to give each speaker a fair trial. Also, if you do find a speaker that sounds good with flat EQ, it will add to your headroom, compared to one that needs a heavy-handed curve. And it also has a better chance of sounding good with your next amp, should you ever need to increase your wattage.

7. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    hmm..makes sense....but would the cab still sound good if it's full power wasn't being "pumped" ? (i couldnt' find a good word there)

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yes. You don't need to push a speaker to its rated power in order to sound good. In fact, boosting the bass a lot runs you into the danger of distorting the speaker in an unpleasant way on your lowest notes.

Auditioning a speaker with a flat EQ tells you how the designer wanted the speaker to sound. There is nothing wrong with EQ'ing it to get your desired sound, but the closer a speaker is to your desired sound before adding EQ, the better off you are. I have screwed around with DIY speakers that were designed to require EQ in order to sound good, and all I can say is that I won't repeat that experiment.

BTW I am also playing an entry level Ibanez, and am quite happy with it, though I was compelled to yank the frets out of mine.

9. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    Alright, thanks for the straighting out, and advice on auditioning speakers. And speaking of entry level Ibanez..yah gotta love those things, mine is the 190. I know some people that yanked the frets, and i've thought about it, but figured i should wait till i get another fretted. Everytime i play my bass, it may not feel expensive, but it plays well and doesn't give me crap.. i just love it. I've had it for a year and a half and it keeps me happy. i lost, or traded everything the guitar came with in the package, but i still have the bass.