GK MB150, S or E?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mikkejohansson, Oct 11, 2004.

1. OK, so I've decided on a GK amp for my URB needs. My local store just joined a chain/franchise of stores so they have a sweet deal on the GK MB150.

But do I really need to go with the more advanced (EQ-wise) 150E-model or will the S-model be godd anoguh? I haven't paid enoguh attention to see wehter people are using the s or e model mostly...
  2. If you're using an external preamp with tone-controls, then you might find that the "E" is overkill, and the "S" will be quite adequate for your needs. On the other hand, the semi-parametric controls on the "E" are quite useful, athough I don't think I've ever used the "chorus" on mine. The "boost" might be useful for solos, though…

Hope this helps -
    - Wil
  3. I have a Fishman preamp so the toneshaping is probably enough. I guess I'll go with the 150s, and maybe get a gigbag or such for the money I save. :)
  4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have owned both the E and S models, using them primarily for upright bass. You will do fine with the S model and can save some money. Although I love this amp and still own the E model as a secondary/backup amp, I found the pre-amp on both models to be ill suited for traditional piezo pickups like the BP100 or the Underwood. In order to get a full round tone, I have had to use a pre-amp, in my case a Ravenlab PMB1, running directly into the Aux jack on the back, totally bypassing the GK pre-amp. Although this is not a perfect solution, the light weight, small size and big sound of the GK150 made the slight hassle worth it.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles
  5. I ordered a 150S today from my store. Should be here on friday... :)

Now my rig will go; Bass (solid)-Bass max-Fishman model B preamp-GK MB150S