1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB150, S or E?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mikkejohansson, Oct 11, 2004.

1. OK, so I've decided on a GK amp for my URB needs. My local store just joined a chain/franchise of stores so they have a sweet deal on the GK MB150.

But do I really need to go with the more advanced (EQ-wise) 150E-model or will the S-model be godd anoguh? I haven't paid enoguh attention to see wehter people are using the s or e model mostly...

2. If you're using an external preamp with tone-controls, then you might find that the "E" is overkill, and the "S" will be quite adequate for your needs. On the other hand, the semi-parametric controls on the "E" are quite useful, athough I don't think I've ever used the "chorus" on mine. The "boost" might be useful for solos, though…

Hope this helps -
    - Wil

3. I have a Fishman preamp so the toneshaping is probably enough. I guess I'll go with the 150s, and maybe get a gigbag or such for the money I save. :)

4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have owned both the E and S models, using them primarily for upright bass. You will do fine with the S model and can save some money. Although I love this amp and still own the E model as a secondary/backup amp, I found the pre-amp on both models to be ill suited for traditional piezo pickups like the BP100 or the Underwood. In order to get a full round tone, I have had to use a pre-amp, in my case a Ravenlab PMB1, running directly into the Aux jack on the back, totally bypassing the GK pre-amp. Although this is not a perfect solution, the light weight, small size and big sound of the GK150 made the slight hassle worth it.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

5. I ordered a 150S today from my store. Should be here on friday... :)

Now my rig will go; Bass (solid)-Bass max-Fishman model B preamp-GK MB150S