1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK neo 212 Vs GK neo 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Thump, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    I was all set on going with the 212 w/my 700RB11, but I've come across a few really good reviews on the 115, any thoughts on tonal differences between the two?
    Does anybody find the 212 mid honky,like some 12's?
    Is the 115 tight? & is it true that the 115 handles 400watts or the 300 stated on the GK site/ there are a couple of threads that state it's 400 watts.

Thanks for any info
    Cheers

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 2x12 is not mid honky although if you don't use your eq properly you could make it so. But you can do that with almost any speaker. The GK 2x12 is a very nice cabinet that'll put out a lot of sound. The 1x15 is nice too and my favourite. I like the upper bass punch 1x15s give. But it won't play as loud as the 2x12. Less cone area than 2x12s. It's 300 watts rated according to the website when I last looked at it.

If you play loud get the 2x12. You'll have less chance of blowing a speaker. The GK 700RB could even blow the 2x12s if you pump enough bass into them. But it has a lot of juice even at 8 ohms.

3. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Thanks 62,
    I was thinking of getting the neo 115 and adding a neo 112 or a neo 210 later, but was cvoncerned about the 115's 300 watt rating as a standalone ,There has been a few posts stating that they are rated at 400,but the GK site says it's 300.
    Although the neo 115 isn't as popular as the 212, I don't think I've heard any negatives about it ,other than by itself you gotta watch the volume.

Anybody else want to chime in

4. kalzu87

kalzu87

Jan 15, 2008
    I have both 212 and 115. Unfortunately they don't stack unless I turn both cabs 90 degrees on the floor, if you get what I mean. The Neo115 is rated for 400w, that's for sure. At least the new design, which I already bought in Europe a month ago. So I guess there are no more old ones being even sold. I like the sound, it really fills the place, and I like the bottom end a lot!

5. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    I have redesigned the Neo115 with a 3" voice coil so it is now rated at 400W, and has been shipping for two months. We will update the web site.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've managed to blow a couple 400 watt rated speakers with as little as 175 watts (supposedly) when using it alone with an amp rated at 300 watts into 4 ohms and 175 watts at 8 ohms. The power rating for all musical instrument speakers is a thermal rating and does not accurately reflect what the speaker can handle when driven hard in the bottom octave by an electric bass. Using the 1x15 as a standalone and using a lot of bass boost, such as really cranking up the contour control when playing loud is one way to easily do it. There have been numerous threads on Talk Bass about this subject.

But the GK 1x15" Neo is a fine speaker and will work well as a standalone if you follow these precautions.

For years I used a 1x15 Eminence loaded 400 watt cabinet as a standalone driven by a GK 2000RB head in bridged mono (supposedly capable of 750 watts into 8 ohms) and had no trouble at all. But I was very careful that I didn't exceed it's limitations. When I had to play louder or was playing a large room I added another 1x15 cabinet. It was only when I got careless a couple times that I managed to blow speakers.

I would think the GK 2x10 Neo would sound great paired with the 1x15. The 1x12 is a very nice cabinet also.

7. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I love the GK 212 and 112. Together into the 700rbII, and I've got a wickedly loud and punchy rig. In fact, I think inherent "punchiness" of the head with 10's is almost too punchy.... at least for me. The 12's add a bit of depth. It's also quite versitile. 112 at small stuff..... 212 at medium stuff..... and both at the big stuff.

I don't find the 212 mid honky at all. The 112 might be a bit more honky by itself. Both cabs sound very tight on the bottom. Either is a great compromise between the 10's and 15's.

Thanks Bob for putting out some great sounding and dependable, rock solid gear!.... all reasonably priced! I was teaching a class at work on TVM and value concepts.... I use my rig as an example of the value equation: meeting requirements (quality), divided by cost.

Ljazz

8. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    That's great news. Bob, is the redesigned/re-sized Neo212 shipping yet? I'm hanging out to try one to pair with my 210 ... but I might also try the 115 now.

9. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've got two GK neo 2x12's that I currently pair with my 700RBII and I absolutely love them. I also found my old 4x10's a bit too mid-honky, and decided to replace them with something larger. At first I wanted two 1x15's, but I was afraid of the low wattage rating and the risk of blowing the speakers. But after trying out the 2x12's I really liked the way they sounded. Since then, I haven't looked back. :D

10. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    +1
    I'd like to know when the redesigned NEO112 and NEO212 will be available.

11. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    In stores in abut 60 days.

12. michaeldalton7

michaeldalton7

Aug 15, 2005
    Bob(or anyone else),

How would this configuration work:

GK 1001RB with a neo 212 (the redesigned version) and a neo 115 work

Is this too much? Would 210 with 115 (both neo) be better suited for crisp, articulate, and punchy sound (Norm Stocken vibe)?

Thanks,
    Mike

13. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Thanks for all the info,& how cool it is ,to have RAG chime in.

14. D-Man VanKrill

D-Man VanKrill

Dec 4, 2007
    Alaska
    Norm Stockton actually uses a 2x12 and 1x15 together alot of the time I think. And you know what he sounds like. Ahhhh.......
    :cool:

15. You are very right about 210+115 !! Everything else souns pale in comparison

16. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Oh what the hell, I like Zombies. I have a pair of the Neo 15's and they really cut through the mix.

17. 12many

12many

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm most often workin' with the need for "easy to move around". So I'm lovin' my 115MBE with a MB 500 Fusion with one exception, it wasn't pushing enough air in multiple outdoor events for me. My new Neo 112II with the 115MBE sitting 90 degrees IMHO I find it to be a true thing of beauty. (Maybe a zombie) It's so very versatile. I've also ungraded my power with a 1001RBII as needed. That powerhouse is a little heavy, although I'm delighted, except for controlling it's tremendous push. Headroom plus. It can crack drywall and pull nails My first note after pulling it out of the box sent my dogs and wife running from my house. Eureka Thanks GK and RMC Audio