1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Plex or TE Elf as a gig backup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PCR, May 12, 2019.

1. Gallien-Krueger: Plex Preamp

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Trace Elliot Elf mini amp

37 vote(s)
    57.8%
  3. Something else...

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    You should join the ELF megathread:

Trace Elliot ELF

2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    That's because BAM200 is brand new.

When ELF was realeased, TB was flooded by posts...

I would be careful about choosing BAM200 over ELF. The posts about TC I have seen didn't seem to be that enthusiastic.

On the other hand, there are many people who still praise ELF after having been using it for a year or more. That's something. It won the AMP OF THE YEAR trophy, after all.

3. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Absolutely, and that's how I used to roll when I was playing club gigs. There's plenty of room for the guitarists to be tone divas, my job is to make guts rumble and booties shake. That's all about getting deep in the pocket, not getting my perfect bedroom tone onto the stage.

4. I voted for the Plex. I have one and its very handy to use. I am as others waiting patiently for an update on the update! ;)
    Brent

5. I have an Elf head that is purely for backup and has never been used. I had a small gig last night (50 people) so decided I'd try the Elf out with just one of my Barefaced 1x10 cabs. Eq all at 12 oçlock, gain at 9 oçlock and master at 11 oçlock..... and it delivered! I might use it more often for small gigs, especially as it fits in the pocket of my bass's gig bag. I'm impressed.

BOOG likes this.
  6. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Sounds great, don’t it! ;)

Marty Forrer likes this.
  7. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Interesting because it is spec exactly the same as the Elf. Also, it was only just recently shipped to customers. The first two reviews on Sweetwater went up last week and they were both five stars.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Does anybody have experience running the Elf into the PA?

Is the DI Pre or Post EQ?
    (More importanly) Does adjusting the Gain or Master knobs affect the output level of the DI?

The reason I ask is that at gig's I usually play through by stage cabs, and DI into the mixer (mostly for reinforcement). During the show, I make adjustments to the EQ and the Gain and Master. Changing the tone into the PA is OK, but I don't want the DI levels to change.

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, I do. The DI is post EQ...

Gain affects DI, Volume doesn't.

10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I was referring to the posts in the following thread:

New TC BAM200 micro head.

Especially post Nos. 7, 11 and 12...

Also, having same specifications doesn't mean that both amps will sound and react the same way...

BeefPie84 likes this.
  11. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    The Peavey MiniMax might be a great backup too.