1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silas Caldwell, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Hello! I am a light touring musician (playing in different towns once every two weeks or so) and I play bass and do vocals. I use a GK MB212-II Combo and it sounds perfect with my basses (Gibson Thunderbird and Ernie Ball Sterling SUB Stingray). I nearly just sold it and got a Fender Rumble 800 Head with 2x12 Cab and 1x15 Cab. However, the Rumble just didn't have the GK Tone. I'm looking for a similar rig to my GK MB212-II Combo in Head/Cab Format. Should I stick with the combo or go for a whole different sound all together? What brands sound similar to GK Tone?

Ellery and lowendrachel like this.
  2. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

call me a [email protected]$$ but look into a GK! If that’s what you like stick with it. I toured with a MBF800 for years and it never let me down. I haven’t tried the newer offerings but I’m sure you would find what would work. GK is good stuff!

3. I appreciate the reply!

2milehighspike likes this.
  4. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Sounds like you're very happy with GK... I'd probably just be looking at a GK Legacy head and either the CX series or Neo IV series cabs in whatever configs make you happy.

That Neo IV 212 cab looks pretty sweet. 800w, 44 lbs, $900. Pretty good. I just paid hundreds more for a less-powerful Aguilar SL212, but I wanted the Aggie to match my Tone Hammer 500 head.

Though a little pricier, I also really like the Mesa Subway series. I have the TT800 head and 115 and 210 cabs. They are simply fantastic. No matter what combination of bass or amp I'm using, they just deliver in spectacular fashion. Clear, authoritative, effortless power with those babies. Read around here on the forum about the Subway 115. It is probably the best balanced all-in-one cab for small to medium gigs. It is not AT ALL like you would think a single 15" cab sounds like. Yes, slammin' lows for days but also beautiful and clear mids that just shouldn't be possible with a giant speaker like that. After decades of being an Ampeg user, the first time I hooked up the Subway 115 was truly a revelation. It was like every speaker cab I had used before was under a thick blanket or something.... Imagine having lived 40 years with moderately poor eyesight, then one day you finally get glasses - you see everything with a new clarity and refinement! Images come to life and things "pop" into view... that's what happens with your ears the first time you use a Subway 115, haha!

I see you're in Nashville. I'm just 20 minutes down I-24 from you. If you want to try out some Mesa and Aguilar gear to see what you think, holler.

5. Thanks for the response!

6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I think you can get similar to GK with some Mesa heads and cabs (not all of them). However, GK makes fine gear, has a signature sound, and a great tone-stack that just works. If you like the GK sound, I'd shop their line and see if you can find a rig that meets your needs.

I own Mesa and GK (along with other brands) heads and cabs, but have always found the GK voicing very appealing in a band mix. To me there is nothing else out there exactly like it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    JettBlaq, cratz2, Cracker7 and 10 others like this.
  7. Thanks for the response!

Al Kraft likes this.
  8. 2milehighspike

+1, GKs punch through in a band mix very well, in fact I would still be using GK gear if not for my Mesa Subway gear I have now. GKs and Mesas have a different flavor and while I haven’t had a chance to use my Mesa WD800 115/112 rig in a room full of people yet, I have experience like I said with GK. It’s all what you want as far as tone. If you can try and Demo both.

9. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I used GK for years . Incredibly reliable , and really easy to dial in . But check out the Mesa gear and compare . The TT800 is one of the most flexible amps designed . Great cabs too .
    Most serious music stores stock Mesa and GK so you should be able to compare .
    There’s also a bunch of smaller companies making great gear . GR Bass , Darkglass , Aguilar , Bergantino , Genzler . This is a great time to be looking for a new rig .
    I’d suggest something modular , a couple of 8ohm cabs and about 500-800 watts . Or more . That should handle most situations .

JettBlaq and Silas Caldwell like this.
  10. My experience with Genzler was pretty good. Aguilar? Not so much. The Tone Hammer 500 and cab sounded good in videos but when I received it, it was to another buyer in a month or two. The Darkglass cabs are phenomenal from my experience, but never worked with the heads.

11. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I went Bergantino , and have never been happier .

bassface69 and 2milehighspike like this.
  12. 2milehighspike

I used a Bergie HD410 with the MBF800, crazy good rig!

13. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Berg cab and have played the Berg heads. While they're a touch more subtle/plain than the GK voicing IMO, Berg gear is top drawer and faithfully delivers the sound of your bass with excellent tone shaping that adds no coloration. If you can imagine a GK head being a bit more laid back and dressed in a tuxedo as opposed to a leather jacket, you'd have something approaching the Berg sound...a very smooth, sophisticated presentation and totally ready to step up when called upon.

groove pump, JoePP, J R Knots and 4 others like this.
  14. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Can I ask why you want a head/combo setup, specifically? Seems like a somewhat arbitrary factor.

15. Speakz

Speakz

Nov 9, 2017
    I have the Legacy 500 and couldn't be happier. I run it through 2 Berg HD112's or CX210 ,CX115, and I have a CX410. The Legacy heads are very versatile and easy to dial into the mix. Bergantino and GK tend to build very punchy responsive gear. You could certainly find used MB heads around for a good price and spend your money on well built lightweight cabs to save your back. If your pretty careful and tend not to have accidents than the CX stuff is affordable and light but not rugged. They're built more like guitar cabs vs burly bass cabs.
    Good luck!

16. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Commercial User

GK has a signature sound that you only really get out of a GK. If you really liked the sound of your old GK, you probably should get another GK.

shoot-r, RumbleBot and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maybe I should give GK another shot. I don't think I got 20 hours out of my MBF800.

backin82 likes this.
  18. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I've shared this before on here, but I dropped my MB212 combo from no less than 5 ft while loading in for church once. The thud/crunch sound it made upon hitting the pavement will haunt me forever. It echoed through the empty downtown OKC streets seemingly forever that early Sunday morning. But aside from a dent on the corner and the power button being shifted inside the housing, I have experienced no setbacks. It's worked flawlessly for several years now at church, home, and at all gigs. It's truly an incredible piece of gear.

RumbleBot and alaskaleftybass like this.
  19. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    So I've been playing an MB115-II combo and MBP115 powered cab for a few years and have been incredibly happy with the sound, weight, and price. Also, it's hard to get a bad sound of it. Essentially just set the eq to about noon and tweak slightly to taste and that's it.
    You're already part of the way there with your MB212-II, so why not add a powered cab and really rock out.

danster and alaskaleftybass like this.
  20. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

If you like the MB212 combo, then you'll probably really like an MB800 head paired with just about any 2x12 or a couple of 1x12's. I've had an MB800 for many years and it sounds great thru every cab combination I've tried it with. I also had an MB210 for a long time, so yeah, there are some similarities to be had there.

IMO, the MBF800 will be very different in character from the MB212; the MB800 will be closer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021