Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK-Thunderfunk Testimonial

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbwdog, Dec 31, 2005.

1. I've owned a GK 800RB since 1987 and have used and abused it for seventeen years without a problem. Hurricane Katrina swamped the rehearsal house where my amp gear was stored with 24 feet of saltwater,mud,and no telling what else, for over eight hours. It was over four weeks before I could even get to the site to try and recover anything that might be left. I found the amp coated inside and out with dried mud and corrosion. My new GoliathIII and my EV 1x15 cab was the same with covering coming off and, of course, all speaker cones trashed.
    I contacted GK & SWR to see if they could offer any help as this was a very costly disaster for me in many ways. I also emailed Dave Funk as I had read so many great reviews of TF amps and felt certain that the 800RB was totaled. Dave was the first to respond and offered a special deal on a TFB550 which I gladly accepted.(thanks Dave). Best tone of any amp I ever owned.
    GK was next and offered endorser pricing as well as checking out my old amp. SWR basically said "sorry charlie" which really disappointed me as I have been a faithful Fender player and a dealer at one time.
    I took my GK amp, removed the top & bottom covers and flushed it out with a garden hose,removing as much mud and gunk as possible. Then I placed it on top of my home air condtioner compressor unit with warm air blowing into it to dry.
    Sent it to GK. They called the following week and said "Guess what! Your amp works!" All it needed was one pot, a fuse holder and a good cleaning. Got it back last week and works as good as ever!! So now I have two great bass amps.
    I just wanted to share my experience with you guys as to GK's reliability and customer service as well as Dave Funk's character and expertise as an amp builder.Thanks to both!!

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    sorry for what happened!
    Dave is indeed a great guy and the TF is incredible!
    BTW, the GK800 it was and still the best GK I ever owned.

Happy new year!

Mo'

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Nice to see that both of them helped you out in a hard time :). Impressive that the GK stood up to that too.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The customer service from GK is second to none. I'm wearing my shirt with pride after reading this, and frankly, I'm proud to openly endorse GK products, swear by them, and rely on them.

Kudos to the boys at GK.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm definatly taking my GK 4 X 4'ing instead of my Demeter. :D

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Kudos to Thunderfunk and GK. Well done on both parts.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is awesome. The only real bass amp I have owned is a GK, and I am NEVER getting rid of it (if I have the choice!). That is really cool that GK offered you assistance like that! And the same goes for ThunderFunk. Every time I had to deal with GK to order parts when I broke off knobs, they were very easy to work with, and shipped everything quickly. And, the fact that the 800 stood up to that kind of abuse is amazing. I think my next amp will be another GK.

BTW, Fender/SWR not giving you anything as far as assistance goes is pretty crappy. I mean, it wouldn't hurt them to give a free checkup on your amp, or give you a pricing break. Oh well, that's a major corporation for you.

8. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Gk thumbs up!!,i still use my old 200mb to practice on,my new 1001rb-2 is on the way.

9. Yep, here's a big boo to Fender/SWR. Another thumbs up to GK and Thunderfunk, that's top notch service.

I'm quite certain SWR of old would have treated you better.