1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glass Recycling

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by samson3382, May 3, 2015.

1. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Warning: Boring Read

I've been recycling my glass at a large nearby recycling facility for years. I would save up glass in 5 gallon buckets, large recycle bins, for six months or more at a time, take 5 minutes to dump them.

They recently moved across the city. Any other options for me are either truck container style- with small square holes in the side, or dumpsters with small holes cut in the padlocked lids. The way they are set up, you have to basically hand each piece in individually. Dangerous, time consuming, messy.

It's frustrating, but being something that is voluntary, & nobody's making a buck, I'm not sure anyone would care enough to make a change to make it convenient.

I suppose the best answer would be to save up more, I'm sure there is somewhere I go occasionally across town that's nearby another larger facility.

First world problem I guess.

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    How much do you get for 6 months worth of saving up?

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    When I lived in SoCal years ago we would take the bottles down to the grocery store, they had these recycle machines that looked like vending machines outside on the sidewalk, it was kind of fun putting in a bottle ,hear the machine smash it to bits and out popped a nickel, cheap entertainment

4. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    As in $?
    Nothing here in Idaho, might be worth the trip, fuel and all, to drive the 80 or so miles to Oregon, haven't looked into it.
    How much glass?
    Varies, yesterday I had four 5 gallon buckets, sometimes it's three or four times that.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Why not approach your local fire station and ask them to have a reasonable (where you could dump the buckets) recycle drop point. They could them use the money earned for pay and equipment.

Where are you getting that much glass to recycle; nearly everything here is packed in plastic.

6. Read it as "Glass Relicing" and thought man those guys at TB are losing their minds, they want to relic everything!

7. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Mostly beer, 5 gallon bucket might hold a 12 pack though. The bins hold a lot. Funny thing is we have lots of local beer that's fine, and it's in cans only, but it's typically $2-3 more per 12 pack, vs something similar from out of state.

Just did a bit of looking and found this..
    The Glass Ceiling | News | Boise Weekly
    It is 5 years old but I'm sure nothing's changed. Discouraging.

8. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    Lubbock Texas just announced that they wont take glass anymore. Only metal, plastic, and paper.

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Well that's discouraging.