1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Glockenklang

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Norre, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Any here ever tried a Glockenklang amp for double bass? They have a lightweight head called Blue Soul that seems interesting (click me). I wonder how it would sound compared to the modern micro-heads like the AI Focus or the MB LMIII, Aguilar TH500, GB Shuttle 6.2, etc...
    Anyone?

Thanks,

KN

2. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The Tecamps are much better for DB in my opinion. I've had them head-to-head (with the Blue Soul). I actually like the Tecamp better than the EA Doubler which I had a hand in designing.

3. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    OK. You are talking about the puma line I guess? I'm looking for a low powered amp to drive my Big E MA45. The Puma 500 seems to be in the power range I'm looking for. I'll check one out soon.
    Any reason why you prefer the Tecamp to the Glockenklang or the EA?

Thx,

KN

4. I respectfully disagree, although many other factor play an important role here, such as choice of pickup/mic and cab, and the kind of sound you are after. If you are looking for an amp that amplifies your bass as faithfully as possible, Glockenklang is an excellent choice, and it has a great eq as well to further shape the tone. I do believe, however, that Glockenklang amps sound best with glockenklang cabs... I use a Bass Art Classic with Acoustic Art cabs. Not really lightweight territory, but a wonderful sound!

Cheers,
    Vncent

5. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    John Goldsby was using the Glockenklang Bass Art Classic Head and BAC Cabinet a couple of years ago, (in the WDR). He seemed pretty happy with it. The pricing is a bit different in Europe, since the shipping is reversed. Here Glockenklang is inflated and domestic brands are lower, whereas in Europe you get the European brands lower and the American brands higher.

Since you're so close to Vunz (Amsterdam), you should head up there and hear him play sometime. I have a BAC Head which I pair with the BAC cabinet (for BG), but I hear great things about the Acoustic Art Cabinets. Small but wonderful.

As far as the Blue Soul is concerned, I don't recall any reports on it for DB. I would expect it would be quite good, but not in the same league as the BAC Head.

You might be able to pick up a used BAC Head, since they are much more common in Europe. Last month one sold on TB, but that is very rare.

6. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    If only that was true... American brands are more expensive over here ... and so are the European brands.
    E.g. a Markbass LMiii is about 599$ (470€) and you pay 670€ for it here in Europe. That's a difference of 200€ (250$). Go figure! And that's one of the reasons I convinced myself to never buy a Markbass head.

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've not tried anything better than Glockenklang, be it for electric or for upright bass.
    All their heads and preamps are flexible enough to make either sound 'right' to my ear.
    It is worth knowing where to buy though as is the case with anything.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Vncent,
    While I have never played through a Glockenklang head, my worry would be that, if it had to be repaired, I would have to ship it back to Germany. If this was the case, then the cost of shipping it overseas and making sure that the country of origin understands that it's a repair can be rather complicated. I did it once with a Headway EDB-1 and had good luck, but I really would prefer to have an amp that can be repaired locally.

Ric

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Why not just write an email to glockenklang to see how this would be dealt with before you buy?
    I know them as quite responsive.:)

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Cnltb

That's certianly good advice, and if I were truly interested in purchasing one, then I would definitely investigate that possibility. As I'm very satisfied with my two Walter Woods amplifiers, I'm not currently in the market for a new amp.

Ric

P.S. I think that I shall never see a cabinet that looks this good

Attached Files:

11. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    OP is in Belgium... So German repairs should not be an issue for him.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Looks very good.
    +1 on that...It's not very loud though :).

13. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I know it's an old thread, but I wonder if anyone had the chance to test a Blue Soul yet. If you look at the specs it seems a good amp for DB. Input impedance is 3MOhm on channel A and 4.7MOhm on channel B, ideal for piezo's right?

14. I've settled on the Blue Soul after trying Acoustic Image and Euphonic Audio. Both were really good amps but the Glock is better, but its a percentage game at this level. Prefer it against the Puma too and we've had a good run here to compare them side by side.

I've just recently gone one better and put the Monique in front of the Glock. WOW! I run a Tecamp L212 cab with it.

15. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the info basshack. Do you use it in a band and do you have any feedback problems? Could you please also tell me what a Monique is 'cause I have no clue :bag:

16. I've only started using the Azola out recently but yes it needs taming with EQ. The AI was set up really well for this but the Glock has enough tone shaping to cope. The band is a pretty rough originals gig but they're new and lots of fun. My main gig is the worship band at church and I use the Glock and alternate my basses so no particular bass feels left out. :p

Monique is my new preamp. There's a big thread here on them. Beautiful hand made valve pre that lives up to hype.

17. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have to drop a recommendation for the new AI Clarus+. I haven't tried the Glock but I did audition the AI next to a Puma 900. While the Puma was a bit louder there was a clarity and transparency to the AI that I couldn't do without. The AI does not sound as good for EB but I'm thinking of picking up a VT Bass pedal or some-such and running it on the second channel, an option not available with the Puma or Glock. Considering the fact that it costs just South of a grand, has two channels with independent EQ, HPF, phase inversion, XLR/48v phantom and has one of the cleanest preamps ever, I think it's a pretty incredible value.

Plus: Made in 'Murica!

18. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I own two Walter Woods Amplifiers, they sound amazing, but both of them new cost well over $1,500.00 in 1997, and are discrete component devices, which is making them more and more difficult to repair. At this point, I think it's actually smarter to by a great preamp like the Headway EDB-2, Acoustic Image Flex, or Acoustic Box, et.al. and use one of the many powered speakers from Yamaha, QSC, or Mackie. Amplifiers companies like Genz Benz (who produced a great DB amp) are going in and out of business, and being able to repair them isn't as much of a priority anymore. Acoustic Image is the exception to this rule, they have the greatest customer service for their products.

Ric

19. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Last night I had the opportunity to test the Glockenklang Soul II head during rehearsal in a 4-piece bluesband (drums, bass, guitar, vocals/harmonica) and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. I plugged my Full Circle straight into the amp's input (no pre-amp!), connected to my Bergantino EX112ER cabinet. I also used the DI out to the PA, but just a little bit to get a nice balance between me and the rest of the band. It sounded great. I had to cut the bass and low mids a little bit to avoid feedback, but other than that it sounded great. I also tried it with my EDB-1 pre-amp and that worked fine too. With the phase reverse engaged, the low cut filter set on the bass setting and a little bit of notch I could get a sound I can live with, with no feedback at all. I regret I didn't bring my 2nd cab to get even more juice out of it. Maybe next time ;-) And since the Blue Soul has even more power and less weight it could be a winner.

20. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Jul 16, 2013
    UK
    Ah, the more I hear you guys talk about different heads the less sure I am as there is nowhere near me that I can go and try a few out. It's such a big chunk of cash to gamble with.