1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going mic...What would you choose???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Michael Drost, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Hello!

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I need some help. I want to know which mic you'd choose. I play all styles on the upright. I'd just like my bass to sound like my bass :meh:

I am thinking of the following:

ADX20i
    ATM350
    Troll

Thoughts? Endorsements???:help:

2. I recently tried out an ATM350 on a gig and I was recording each instrument separately onto garage band. For the trumpets + sax, the ATM350 worked great. For the bass, the mic picked up a lot of drums. The sound quality is high, but the mic is sensitive to a lot around it. It also seems fragile. I was using the saxophonists ATM350 because he could not use it as the clip broke.

For live use, perhaps a cheap dynamic mic is the way to go. I just got a Sennheiser e609 and my tests with it seem encouraging. To me, it seems that Supercardiod, + dynamic = it only hears what is right in front of it, and therefore good for live use. The e906 may be better sounding for a slightly higher price, but still less pricey than two of the others on your list.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Have you considered the DPA 4099 D vote? for isolation from other instruments and crystal clarity, it's certainly one of the best mic's out there. I've owned the ATM 35, AMT S25B, and the DPA 4099. The DPA wins hands down. The Troll according to the TB posts and samples is exceptional, but it will require a additional pre amp. Just my take. For most of my gigs I'm using the Ehrlund EAP pickup, which, on my bass, sounds like a mic with less feedback issues and more gain.

Ric

4. Michael Drost

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    What I am looking for is something durable, with a small footprint, light in weight, that sounds great.

Is the DPA 4099b that much better. It is quite a lot more in price? I know you have to pay for quality. I am willing to do that. I just want the best sound with my AI Ten2.

5. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Of the three mic's you selected, I've played out with the ATM 35 (the predecessor of the 350) the AMT SP25B, and the DPA 4099, they pickup all the instruments in proximity to your bass. The DPA 4099D vote is miniature shotgun design so it isolates itself from the other instruments on stage.
    Even with the superb isolation of the DPA 4099, you will have some challenges using a microphone, as the sole sound source for the instrument. I'd highly recommend borrowing one, and using it on gigs, before you commit to the "mic only" scenario, if that's what you're considering. IME, IMHO it's better to send a microphone FOH and use a pickup through the amplifier, because you have better control of over feedback.

Ric

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1. Wise words from a guy who has used just about all of them. I suggest taking this advice very seriously.

7. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I've owned the AMT, currently own and use the DPA (which I love for FOH), and I vote for the Troll. All things considered: cost, tone, feedback, and general usability I think it's the best right now. Just my opinion.

8. Michael Drost

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Thanks guys. Good advice. I do have an AKG 451 C, and a Shure KSM27, and a slough of 57's. Any thoughts on those. Should I even bother experimenting with them?

Mike

9. Use the SM27! I was going to suggest the Beta 27, but I figured, nah, you want the little mics.

The SM27 is still cardiod, not supercardiod like the Beta 27. Since you already own it, give it a go. Put it under the bridge like a troll mic. I'm using a 50¢ piece of foam insulation for hot water pipes to hold the mic and guide the XLR cable and then 1 rubber band to keep it secure near the bridge. The SM27 is a lot heavier than an e609, so you'll need 2 rubber bands. Give it a try, you already own it! :) Mic to the FOH, and pick up to amp, or use the "No Amp" system.

If you really want to use your AI Ten2, and you have nothing else,then try using it as a little FOH, where it is placed in front of you pointing to the audience or sideways to audience+other band members (and placed in a quiet spot to the mic's pickup pattern), and the acoustic bass is the stage monitor. The other band members have to do their part in keeping the stage volume low enough to allow this to work.

10. Mandobassman

Mandobassman

May 16, 2012
    I asked that same question on this forum last year and what I ended up with was as big of a surprise to me as anybody. Check out this thread. I got my answer in post #11. In post #26 you can see some photos of my setup and there are more detailed photos later. I have used a few different piezo pickups and several mics and this is by far the best sound I have ever achieved from my bass. I get a ton of volume, virtually no feedback issues, and I run it straight to my amp onstage. The best part is, it's super cheap to try out. I've been using it for about 16 months now and I still love it.

11. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I'm having great results with the Neumann TLM 102. It's a cheap but great sounding and really small mic.

12. Mandobassman

Mandobassman

May 16, 2012
    Cheap, maybe by Neumann standards, but most players would not consider that cheap at around $700.

13. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    You're right, I should say it's cheap for a Newmann. :)

Still, this mic sounds like it would cost three times more, and if you take good care of it will have an excellent mic for many, many years. Worth every penny.

14. Michael Drost

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Mando,

Well, I checked out your thread. Very impressive. I just ordered one. We will see! I'll keep you posted. Any things to avoid? Must do modifications?

Thanks!

15. Michael Drost

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Incidentally, I bought the RS mic, the DPA mount and the ATM mic gooseneck assembly for under $100. I will assemble the package as soon as the part arrive, take some pics, and record some "direct to pro tools" audio examples. Maybe a comparison to the 451 and D112 as well.

16. I just picked up an EV Cardinal, as discussed in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f4/new-mic-h-clamp-467138/

Here's a little review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may06/articles/emvmics.htm

I haven't gigged with it yet, because I haven't figured out the mounting. I'm not going to spend $100 on an h-clamp, I'm more inclined to try to make one (then give up when it doesn't work and probably spend $100 on one anyway).

I bought the Cardinal used for $70 on Ebay, but they run maybe $140 new. I've used them on lots of recordings, and they sound great on my bass in the studio. We'll see how it works live! One annoyance is that you need an allen wrench to adjust the angle of the mic in its mount! It comes with a wrench, but it's one more tiny thing to keep track of!

17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I'm just to much of a klutz to work with Large microphones. My fear is that one of them would come loose from the H-Clamp and take out the top.

That's why I'm sticking with the DPA 4099B, and will eventually trade it in for the newer DPA 4099 Dvote.

You can take it of an on with one hand, leave it on the instrument, and it can stay on the instrument permanently if you wish. While I'll admit

that it's on the expensive side, there are usually a couple of DPA 4099B's in the TB classifieds. I love Neumann and Schoeps mic's in the studio, but for me at least, they're just to much to deal with

at a live performance. Just my take. Fortunately for me, as I've mentioned before, the Ehrlund EAP and Pre Amp sound so good, that I rarely have to use a microphone at all.

Ric

18. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    For live use-
    I haven't used the DPA but I have used ATM 350, AMT SP25B, Shure SM57 beta, Shure SM57, Shure SM58 and the Troll.
    The Troll wins by a lot for it's great sound in varied circumstances and ease of use. It is the most consistent mic I've ever used and sound guys/gals love it.
    -Jeff

19. I've used an AKG 3000b, Neumann Km185, DPA 4099b, Schertler Dyn-B, Schertler A-Dyn, and an Ehrlund EAP (although the Schertlers and Ehrlund are not mics in the strict sense of the word), but my new Schoeps CMC6 with Mk41 capsule is my favorite for live (and studio) work. Sure, it costs almost as much as the other mics combined, but for me it's worth every eurocent!

Cheers,
    Vincent

20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    This would be my choice, if I had the funds, Schoeps has the reputation, in live sound applications, on location recordings, for motion pictures. Looking at it realistically, from my perspective, I'd prefer to have a minimally invasive microphone, that can stay mounted on the instrument, and not have to be removed each time you take your case on and off the instrument. With the EAP, DPA 4099B,Ehrlund Preamp, Headway EDB-2, QSC K8 I can get the sound I'm looking for. Just my take, others obviously have better setups. I happy with mine. I just played for Jazz At The Bistro this weekend and the sound coming of the instrument was exactly what I'd hoped for.

Ric