1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going Nuts Trying to Identify Sources of this Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ComesATime, Jun 28, 2014.

1. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    I've been listening to The Wytches quite a bit, and I'm trying to identify what kind effects create a bass tone like this. Part of it is the Jazz Bass pickups I think for sure, but it sounds like a touch of gain and some reverb or chorus. Am I wrong? It sounds quite smooth, too. The tone is consistent between the recorded version and the live, but the live sounds like it has less of the fuzz. The live is what I'm more interested in. I can't quite identify anything on the pedal board.

2. Just sounds like a touch of overdrive to me, no fancy shenanigans going on here.

3. Didn't see the bass player with any stomp boxes on the floor live, so it's probably just a Fender Jazz overdriving an all-tube SVT. Overdriven power tubes clip in a way that's harmonically pleasing to the ear, thus sounding "smoother" and less buzz-saw.

4. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    He's got a board definitely, its only visible for a half sec here and there, but yeah it just sounds like overdriven SVT

5. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Agree with the other fellas. SVT overdriven.
    If you're looking for SVT like tube overdrive in a pedal, check out the usual suspects -

Catalinbread SFT, Beta Bass Overdrive, VT Bass, Darkglass Vintage Microtubes

I'm personally a fan of the SFT:

6. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    Just wanted to thank you guys for the replies. I'm really broke at the moment, so I was looking at the Behringer VT999 as it was more in my price range, but I have a EHX Polychorus that I haven't used, so maybe I'll see if I can sell that and then just pay the difference on a used SBT.