Going to Ireland

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 12, 2004.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am heading to the Irish Isle this saturday for a week long tour, before i head to my next assighnment.Any recommendations as to what to excpect of Irish culture and any tips for traveling the country. Thanks
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ohhhh, I can just imagine sitting down at a local pub and quenching my thirst with a pint of dark Guinness!

Ohhh yeah!

Other than that, have a good trip! :)
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Bogs are cool, just don't get caught in one.

Smarties are candies similar to M&Ms, but way better.

Crunchies are chocolate bars with honeycomb in the middle, very good.

Guinness might as well be the official drink of ireland, and going to the pub is very customary.

Irish drivers are pretty crazy, and many of the country roads are even crazier, be careful.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    For those who enjoy the sights of nature, make sure you get a view of the approaching country upon landing approach if traveling by air. They don't call it "40 shades of green" for nothin':D
  5. I dare you to fake a Irish accent the whole trip. :)
  6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Where are you going? the north and south are differant places all together.....
  7. Wow, that's nice... :)

Advice? Relax, sit back, soak in the culture, enjoy the conversation.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Guiness - a steak in every glass!

I prefer Kilkenny, but let it settle before you slam it down.
  9. Just go and enjoy the experience! I'm very jealous. My wife and I went last year for a week and I really can't wait to go back again. In fact I think I could get into living there.

Drink a few pints of Guinness or Beamish if that's your preference. Kiss the Blarney Stone. Most of all have fun enjoying the sights and the people. We found driving through the Wicklow Mountains to be especially breathtaking although I found some of the driving to be hairy at times.

Have a blast!
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I want to go sometime.

Guiness is really good stuff, but if you want to find out what the type of beer we drink the most over here is REALLY supposed to taste like, then you need to investigate Bass and Harp.

Be warned, after you try them you will find yourself angry every time you encounter a Budweiser. Or just about any other watery American beer.

Most of my family line came over during the famine. The last to get here was my paternal grandfather, in about 1920 or so. He came from Bantry Bay, in County Down. I'm not sure about most of the rest of them. And names like Bagwell, Murphy and Doyle certainly aren't likely to be regional names. "Oh your Grandpa was a Bagwell, was he? Then his people must have come from Couny Cork." Yeah, like that is gonna happen. If you happen to run into any Roy's ( or O'Roy's) down souththat look kind of like the guy in my avatar, who looks kind of like me...Buy 'em a beer for me and I'll pay you back when you get home.
  11. The official beverage of ZoomBoy! This was the first day we were there. We ate lunch at little pub/restaurant next to the hotel in Limerick. I was working on only a few hours sleep at this point.
  12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
  13. Here is a shot I took when we were in Tramore, Co. Waterford. We stayed there for 2 nights since we wanted to try and find the house my wife's grandmother was born in. Her Nana was born in a town called Kilmacthomas in Co. Waterford. We drove about 800 miles around the country in one week.

14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    I just remembered, if your in Dublin, and want a bite to eat, go to captain america's, its not irish food, but then what it traditional irish food, stew?

Anyway, its a beautiful restaurant/bar in the heart of dublin.
  15. Is that in the Grafton St. area? We walked around a bit and took a quick bus tour but we were too stessed for time the day we were in Dublin to really enjoy it.
  16. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    I think it is, im not from dublin but ive been down a good bit, i know my way around, but i dont know street names etc.

If you go back be sure to check it out, there are some famous music related items on the walls, some auto graphed U2 stuff was what made it great for me, as well as the fantastic food.

Sorry i cant give you directions or even a street name, but it is about 20/30 minutes walking distance from the train station if you know where that is, if not, just ask, everyone is friendly down there.

The only thing that stuck out as 'bad' to me was that they dont seem to like public displays of affection in dublin, i dont know if this is the same throughout ireland, but simply kissing your girlfriend/wife will usually merit a 'get a room' from someone walking past...
    Edit:When i say
    I am referring to the south, im from the north and its all good here.
  17. It's probably in the Temple Bar area then. We enjoyed Dublin and it reminded us of Boston in many ways.
  18. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I thought County Down was about as South as you could get.:confused:
  19. County Down is in Northern Ireland.

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Co. down is the red bit