Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

going to record how should I do it

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by violatedppl, Sep 14, 2005.

1. I am going to record for the first real recording session and want to get it right. my band will be recording at a recording school called expresions (which we are getting 8 hrs for free :) ) so I am not sure if I should mic my cab or run a line out or both. MY gear is shown below. I want a very punchy sound but from what I have heard running from the line out gets alot of string noise which I dont like. And Im not sure if the line out will pick up my effects chain. Just wondering how you guys would do it. I would really like to get this right the first time and send this demo out and try and get my band really going. thanks

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    If there are enough channels available use both a di and a mic. Remove any pedals from your signal path don't need for a particular track to avoid any adverse impact on your tone (even your tuner). Don't worry about string noise on the di. It won't be as obvious in a mix, it can actually help the bass part stand out and hey, bass is a stringed instrument! I'm sure the recording engineer will check but it's essential to make sure the di and mic are in phase. If the di is after your pedals it will pick up your effects. Talk to the engineer about using your compressor. He/she may well have a vastly superior unit compared to your digitech so you might not want to use yours. If you do, use less rather than more compression. It's difficult to compensate for overcompression and it's important to remember compression multiplies not adds, eg if you compress at 4:1 and so does the engineer at mixdown the bass is going to be compressed 16:1, pretty savage. You could try using the digitech after the di so the di is uncompressed but the mic is compressed, again talk to the engineer. New strings, set up your intonation properly, new batteries in anything that takes them. Don't get too serious at the session. Do a good job but remember you'll deliver a better performance if you're enjoying yourself. Trust the people you're working with (you probably don't have a choice) and learn everything you can. Also 'getting it right the first time' sort of implies that you will never learn anything and get better, when of course you will. If this is your first recording experience don't be too hard on yourself (or the band) or expect perfection, it takes years to get years of experience. And of course, make sure the band is well rehearsed, has a plan for the day (is the 8 hours all tracking time or does that include mixing? when are you going to do the vocals?) and get the drummer to show up *early*. Have fun!

3. this is all for recording time we have mixing time for the week after. with the drummer well he doesnt have a car so he will get their on time by some one elses means (guitarist) but I would really like for this to turn out well and like you said have fun. If I wanted to do something that wasent fun, I would have majored castoadial arts, I want to get my degree in sound engineering but a new job coming up might hinder that. anyway I will report back whem I am through with everything.

the only bad thing is that it is the student who do everything their are teachers just watching over them, and from what THEY have told us the students such at mixing so we will do that one ourselves prob