Going to see Stanley Clarke tomorrow night.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rev J, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    He's playing a one nighter in a small venue in Berkeley. Usually he does a one week residence at Yoshi's in Oakland. Kinda stoked.

C/S,
    Rev J

woodyng2, kesslari, B-Mac and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Cool.

He's an amazing bass player, a legend even.

Even if I am not really that much into the music he plays I still appreciate his talent.

Also one of the great iconic short scale players.

If jazz I personally prefer it a bit more experimental than what he is usually involved with.

Looking forward to see Fender's take on his new Stratocaster Bass.

Looks like it will be a 24 fret short scale with 3 single coils, if they stick to his specs.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Saw him twice as Stanley Clarke and Friends (like the CD, but by then they had a replacement keyboard player whose name escapes me) with Cobham, Carlton and Najee. Then again in Rite of Strings with DiMeola and Ponty.

You’ll enjoy the show regardless of whom his bandmates are

I’m jealous

I’m curious if he’s gonna be playing that new upside down looking bass he was pictured with for promoting the new album?

Keep your eyes peeled ;)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I see this was posted Wednesday

So how was the show?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    The show was great. He had a 6 piece band Bass, Drums, 2 keyboardists, Tabla, and Violin. He started out with just tablas and electric bass. Since I was in the second row I got a real good look at his technique. I was surprised at how light his standard right hand technique is when he isn't slapping. As the tune went on the rest of the band came in. After that it was mostly upright bass with the electric coming out for the 2 song encore.

He was playing his new Alembic with the dove neck inlays. In a little bit I'll post some pictures from the venue. out of respect for the performance etc. I didn't take any pics/videos while the band was playing.

C/S,
    Rev J

B-Mac, Dr. Cheese, kobass and 2 others like this.
  6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Back when I saw this line-up, they were calling it the Jazz Explosion Superband.
    JAZZ REVIEW : Jazz Superband Lives Up to Its Name

Dr. Cheese and B-Mac like this.
  7. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Do you recall the names of any songs he played? I saw him in 2003 when his album 1...2...to the bass came out.

His album East River Drive is one of my favorite albums of all time.

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    The only one I remember him calling off the top of my head was "Black Narcississ" and it was pretty epic.

C/S,
    Rev J

9. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Hes a super cool guy outside of music as well. He have the same dry-cleaner.

10. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    I saw him in 2011 playing with Return to Forever, and being like 16 or 17 at the time, and only having started playing bass not that long before that, I hadn't seen/heard bass playing like that before, not to mention when you add Chick Corea, Frank Gambale, Lenny White, and Jean-Luc Ponty into the mix, you get music that's so incredible, that words don't exist to describe it. I'll remember that show because they got done playing, and left the stage, and everyone kept cheering, and they came back out and played School Days for like 20 minutes as an encore. That's one of those things I never knew was on my bucket list of things to see until I witnessed it.

I could tell you to enjoy the show, but I don't need to, because you will. :thumbsup:

11. Bboopbennie

Bboopbennie

Jun 16, 2019
    First time I saw Stanley play live, I stopped breathing !!!!!!! Meet Chick Corea at Kendun Recorders years back.
    A thrill for me , but he was not very friendly.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021