1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Goliath Jr III with ShuttleMax 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Emre Hanli, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    Hello friends,

I have a ShuttleMax 6. I use it for recording via the xlr out. Now there's an SWR Goliath Jr III (350W/4Ohms) for sale locally in Istanbul. Decent cabs are hard to come by here and we don't have many options. So I thought maybe I should snatch it and use it for micing at lower volumes. Do you think the two would make a decent couple?

I'm hoping @agedhorse might shed some light on this...

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That will work ok BUT there's enough power in the amp to destroy that cabinet if you are not careful. If it were me, I would wait for a more suitable cabinet.

If it was an 8 ohm cab, it would be a better match.

DWBass likes this.
  3. Keep the volume realistic. I don't see any problems in a recording studio where you are in charge.

The bigger question is what state the thing is already in for its 4ohm 210 sins.

Emre Hanli and agedhorse like this.
  4. The 8ohm one is a handy enough little cab but I think if my 250@4 ohm amp can give it a hard time then your 600 @4 ohm amp would really punish it if you weren't just as careful not to push it too hard.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There are a lot of those cabinets available cheap because the drivers are damaged and for the earlier versions with the PAS drivers, there are no more PAS drivers available new (though there was somebody selling knock-off Chinese drivers as original PAS parts a while back... terrible drivers).

DWBass likes this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    :(

7. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    Gotcha. Thanks for replying Andy, been a while since I spoke with a celebrity!

Very legit concern. Given the pocket size horsepower monsters of these days...

Thank you guys, I'll certainly pass on this one.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    It is a VERY real concern, the main reason the single driver and 210 Subway cabinets (and Shuttle cabinets too) are available in 8 ohm only.

Emre Hanli likes this.
  9. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    @agedhorse Andy, I had noticed a problem with my amp but I was OK with it because it doesn't happen with the settings I use it with. It's a noise I get which lights up the input overload light of the selected channel when I sweep the mid frequency (low mids on the fet channel and high mids on the tube channel) range upwards with the gain of the given frequency around 3 o'clock. This even happens when there's no input, the amp is muted, volume and gain all set at 0. I have uploaded a video of this to be more clear:

Now since I'm out checking out cabs, I don't want to harm anything with this noise. So I'm thinking, I'll either get it fixed or stay away from those frequencies when trying out cabs.

BTW there's one I'll go check out today. The NEO 212 II by GK. It's listed as 600W at 8Ω. The ShuttleMax has 375W for it. Looks like the most reasonable option around. Hope I'll like it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    PM me, it's covered under the flat rate service program.

11. Shipping from Istanbul is going to make that somewhat extra.

agedhorse likes this.
  12. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    Totally. Andy is directing me to an alternative solution via PM now.

Yeah, guess being so far away from where gear happens I should be thankful that I was able to get my hands on a ShuttleMax. Even if this problem persists, I'll hold on to this amp like an octopus. Wonderful product that serves my needs exactly the way I would have wished for if it didn't exist.

I see you're based in New Zealand. I hope bass gear is not as difficult to find for you as it is here.

BadExample likes this.
  13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Just a fairly simple, and totally non-class D problem. I know, a huge disappointment to the class D haters out there ;)

14. You have to watch out for used bargains to get anything close to US pricing but it's around. New gear is overpriced when available, sometimes only available to order overpriced.

Emre Hanli likes this.
  15. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    I can reason the inflated prices. What I can't take is not having alternatives and getting ripped off for something I'm only settling for, as opposed to something I really dig. Like, I checked out a few cabs today. Nothing that I'd gladly play through and the price I'd have to pay for them are ridiculous. Anyway. Guess I'll get my woodworker and electric-savvy friends to build a fearful for me.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021