1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good aggressive Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Have some money to spend a bass finally. I am looking for something with a very aggressive punchy sound. I have narrowed my choices to Stingray HH,Fender Deluxe American P,or possibly Deluxe Jazz. I play rock,metal, and alternitive type music. Using a GK 700rbII head and am also purchasing GK neo 112 and 212 cabs. I am asking because it is impossible for me to sit down and play these because of location. I can find one or the other about 150-200 miles from home in different directions so any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    There are sooooo many basses that can do what you're describing including all of the ones you've listed. It's not so much getting that basic sound but what you want in the finger details. (EDIT: Meant to write "finer", but I think "finger details" is also appropriate...)

A Jazz can be really aggressive and burpy and really snarls like few others.

A P Bass doesn't have quite the brashness of a Jazz but its tone is very solid and mixable.

A MM Stingray can be aggressive and burpy like a Jazz but it also has a nice fullness that gives it a "large" sound.

Other really good options would be stuff like Rickenbacker and Warwick. Rickenbackers have a super aggressive sound (check out Space Hog or Arckid or Tool) in the right person's hands, but many people are surprised to learn that their main tones are "full and warm" tones because of their pickup placement. As for Warwicks, they come in a ton of tonal colors, and there are several other brands out there to check out too.

This is ultimately the kind of thing that I didn't know the answer to for myself until after years of experimenting. It turns out I'm mainly a Rickenbacker and Musicman Stingray kind of guy when it comes to this sound, although I give the P Bass a look now and then. While I don't really like Jazz Basses for myself, though, some people use them so well as to make them lethal... It's highly personal, methinks.

3. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Stingray HH (or H) or Deluxe Fender P (or American std P). I've never been impressed with a deluxe jazz in a rock setting

4. I'll tell ya, when I saw 'agressive tone' I thought for sure you were going to include a new Rick 4003 in there.

Just food for thought....:smug:

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Aggressive tone quite often resides in the fingers of the player.

6. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I'd think a 4003 or a T-Bird would be natural selections for a list of aggressive bass tones. Add stainless strings and EQ the amp appropriately, push your preamp, play hard, and you're done!

7. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Ding! Correct Sir.

The reason different basses are a factor is 99% about pickups and their placement; Rics have pushed-back pickups with more fundamental, the Jazz Bass tends to emphasize the more "cutting" low mids... But without the right attack there's obviously no point in buying one bass in favor of another. Also, strings certainly play a role!

8. You can't go wrong with any of the basses you mentioned. Might I suggest a G&L L-2000/2500. They sound absolutely huge are quite versatile and cop the Fender vibe and feel reasonably well. I've always felt that they are their own beast but great basses. The neck on my L-2500 is one of the most stable that I own including graphite reinforced Spectors. The most utterly tear-your-face off live tone has been with my G&L and a GK amp.

I'm also a huge fan of Fender P/J basses. I've got a Deluxe MIM which is also rock solid that I've modified with an Audere and bassline 1/4 pouders that I'd put against my P/J Sadowsky in tone and playability. Granted, I didn't have to touch the Sadowsky to make it sound fansastic :bassist:

9. Fender Jaguar.

10. do you want aggressive or lo-fi and burpy? people tend to use them interchangeably and it drives me nuts.

single coils imply aggressive most of the time. thinner, wiry tone. i normally go for a jazz. turn that nasty anemic bridge pickup off, boost upper midrange and push your gain. play really hard.

maple FBs seem to make things POP a little more. seem to also be less forgiving on fret clank IME. even trade

11. I will always recommend Warwicks. Great basses.

12. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    My HH is very aggressive. Hit me up if you wanna get some sound samples of it vs. a jazz with the same band (different amps, rooms, etc. but different basses, same band).

13. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    I definitly considered a Ric a bit more than i have to spend. $1500 is about top.I know most your tone is in the fingers and I'm getting a good tone out of my basses i have now I have just been wanting to get a really good bass that hopefully i can improve even farther and have something of value that i will play for years to come.

14. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Then you need to just play around on these different models and decide what suits you. $1,500 gets you a pretty kickass bass, but you need to find out which one "fits" best by playing them.

15. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    A Warwick Thumb NT is pretty aggressive in the mix and will fit all of those situations (the NT is a bit smoother than the BO IMO and comes with the 3-band EQ, great for jazzing it up). I'm guessing that you're looking for a 4-string?

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I consider my tone to be quite aggressive, and cutting, whilst also being fairly warm, and I use a Ric 4003, 4004Cii, and an American Deluxe P. The big honkin' humbucker on the Dlx P is very MusicMan-ish, and mixed with the normal P pup, creates a sound of it's own. My favorite player.

17. thumpybumper

thumpybumper

Dec 5, 2008
    when i hear 'aggressive tone', i think of this:

18. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    That is a killer tone. I played a Gibson EB-something recently & it sounded similarly killer.

Not sure how that tone would sit in the mix though. Would love to record with it, but dunno if I'd love to play it live. I think I'd get buried in the mix while the guitar players aimed for the same frequency ranges.

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I would second the G&L suggestion if you're looking for an aggressive tone in the Fender zone. I think the standard config w/ most G&L covers all the stock Fender vibes- that pickup combo is pretty fierce. If at all possible, check one out; they are the jack-of-all-trades in the 'Fender' family.

20. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I played the three basses you posted at guitar center though a 700rb and Neo410 setup. My favorite was the Ray, followed by the P. I found the Ray to be the most aggresive sounding (to my ears). It had a very punchy sound, and was a tad brighter than the other two. Had the most "grind" out of the bunch. The P was the warmest/fattest sounding of the bunch. The bucker at the bridge sounded nothing like the Ray's bridge bucker IMO, its closer to the bridge that gives it a thinner more focused sound, but when coupled with the P, sounds great. J was my least favorite, a little more "grindy" than the P or MM, but not as punchy or fat.

To throw out a suggestion, the Spector euro's a couple hundred more than what your looking for and have a very growly sound. The Rebop series are like 1300 and are a little more tame, but have a more ballsy sound than the J.