Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass on 800$ budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxian, May 23, 2005.

1. So I am a highschool student and I think it is about time I get a new bass. For the apst year/year and a half I have been using a Fender Highway One Jazz Bass. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a bass to buy.

Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You can get a GREAT bass for that price if you're willing to go used. Check out Ebay. I have gotten my last several basses used that way, all for around $800.

Check out used MusicMan Stingrays, G&L 2000/2500's, American Jazz's, and a host of others.

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    G&L, Lakland Skyline, used Fender MIA, Fender Geddy Lee. Cort Josh Paul, KSD J bass. There's a lot of good basses in that price range. Take your time play as many as you can before you decide. Good Luck!

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Where to start... how many strings? What type of music do you play? What features do you want/not want on your bass? Give us some information before you start looking for suggestions.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Try to get a Fender MIA Jazz Dlx used.
    There's one in the Classified's section here on TB.
    I almost bought it - but already have an MIA Jazz Dlx of the same year. Pounce!

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    For $800 I'd recommend a Spector.

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    You may even be able to snag a used Warwick Corvette or Fortress.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    What's wrong with the Hwy 1 Jazz you have?

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Make that two for Carvin. I love mine. Actually, you probably could get two of them used for that price.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Used Musicman Sterling.
    Used Stingray 5.

11. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    That's what I was going to ask !!

12. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    The guitar center in cincinnati has a new bongo for 769 on clearnce. I have bought thumb basses for 800 if you like warwicks.What are you looking for? 4,5,6 what type of music?

13. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    MTD Kingston's :smug:

14. Yeah I would keep the hwy 1 and spend you coin on some amp or a fretless. The new yamaha bb414 looks, plays and sounds great. I am close to saying it is worth buying for the color alone. But it does not cost very much <$400.

But that is a steal for the Bongo. The MM Bongo is like the Hartke of basses in that half the people love them and half the people absolutely despise them. I am in the former camp. The Bongo is the way to go if you find the Fender too plain jane.

15. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Used Music Man

New Music Man SUB

Lakland Skyline

There are many Fenders that are pretty decent for around $800

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Make that three.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I hear the Fender Roscoe Beck bass is a great value used in that price range.

18. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hands down your best bet is this --> Click Me!

Brand new, US CUSTOM made by a luthier (not factory), KILLER electronics, etc... You won't get more bass for your money period!

19. Make that 3! haha, I never played one, but Im getting a fretles one this summer. BTW, Snarf, I'm getting the model you have. :)
    I hear carvins are sweet as a nutta butta for the price!