1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Cheap Synth Brain?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fu22ba55, Oct 24, 2010.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm looking for recommendations for a hardware synth module that I can control live with a MIDI controller.

I do NOT want to go the "all software" route... I'm already drowning in software synths and midi controllers. I want an actual piece of hardware with vintage synth sounds.

I'm looking for something like the E-MU Vintage Keys but maybe a little cheaper / less features.

I'm really only interested in some simple monosynth sounds.

Looking for something I can treat like a boat anchor.

2. jgiroux

jgiroux

Jan 5, 2009
    Quebec
  3. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Wow that looks great. Just what I was thinking of.

The DIY thing is a bit of a speed bump for me, but I could probably work it out.

Are there decent quality components in the Fatman? I remember even some of the Moog stuff from the 80's being built pretty cheaply... being highly subject to temperature, humidity... etc...

But the price is right on this unit, for sure. The E-MU VKs are going for around $300 - $400 on the bay...