Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Compressor for Harmonics?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jun 3, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Hi All,

I am in the market for a compressor and have found there is a really wide range of them in terms of products and also the specific features offered.

One thing that I am hoping to get out of a compressor would be enhanced (natural) harmonics. I've heard that a compressor can cause them to "jump out." With the wide range of products/features out there, which work best for this kind of thing? Another question I have is, to do harmonics do you need a compressor with controls for x-over, or would one without work fine?

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Hey, I just bought an Aphex Punch Factory $139. The thing is great. It doesn't destroy your tone and yes the harmonics leap from your bass. I looked for a compressor for a long time and bought and traded and tried tons of them and this one won the day. It also has a built in DI which I haven't tried yet. Also there's a switch for active or passive basses. I am confident you would love it!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Does the Aphex have an "attack" control?

4. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    The knobs are Drive and Volume. Drive is the amount of compression. I run it at about 7 and adjust the volume so it's equal with the amp volume.

5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I just got the Aphex as well and it's a fantastic compressor. It really is very transparent. I didn't get a chance to fiddle with the settings (well... the two knobs :p) a whole lot yet but so far I'm very happy with this compressor.

6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have heard that the punch factory is very ...."tame" or doesn't seem to do very much so, I didn't bother to try one. I actually use the boss bass limiter/compressor (light blue pedal) which is great for natural and billy sheehan pinch harmonics. It sounds very much like the built in compressor found on the ampeg svt-4 pro head. I swore that I would never use a boss bass pedal but bought it when had to play a last minute gig and my rig was in another town. It is now in my rack with "snob" gear. I love it.

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just got one too. It's really a great compressor. It's so good you almost can't tell its on. It doesn't color your tone, or completely squash it. I got it cause I'm playing in a metal band right now thats tuned to C. I was having problems with the lower notes just souding like doo-doo. The ahpex tightened it right up, in a very natural way.

Edit: I've also heard great things about Demeter's Compulator.

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

actually that is why everyone says its so good, cause it douesnd affect your tone, just your dynamics....

i never played one, i own the boss, but the next compressor ill get will be a a dbx rack compressor, using it stereo afeter my crrossover, so it`ll be like a 2 band compresor.

9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Good idea! I guess it's all preference. I like the compressor that brings out harmonics and sustain. Ones like EBS are not for me. They are very even but seem to really just be a limiter. I think thats what most people are going for. Not really compression.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I ended up getting an ART Levelar (found on ebay for $25!). I just hope it arrives in one piece.

11. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech republic
    ...I'm very very happy!

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    For the record, the ART is a great compressor but doesnt make the harmonics <i>leap</i> out like I was hoping.