1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Deal???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap5string, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Guitar Center has a used Ampeg SVT Classic 810 for sale for $599 ($100 price drop). I have no idea as to what year it was made. I plan on going up to see it tonight. Is there any serial number codes I should look for?...or tell-tale signs that it may be one of the "down years" when manufacturing wasn't up to the Ampeg standard?
    They also have a used 810e they say is USA made for $749. Is one model better than the other?

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I'm no expert - but I can tell you that my 1540HE cab (the 8-10 cab, but with 4-10s and 1-15 instead of 8-10s) is labeled "Classic" and was made in the USA by SLM in March 1995. It and the matching SVT head have been my main rig for about the last 10 years. Quality build and great sound. It does 400 watts. I think that the 810e can handle a good bit more power. :cool:

3. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    check out this and this on how you date your ampeg stuff.

and the general consensus is that
    ampeg got bought by LOUD in 2005, and it'll be written on the cab if it's "made by St-Louis Music" or "Loud technologies" or what not. then again I have a SLM 810 and it sounds great to me.

Lucky you actually get to try both cabs, so do that!
    And buy the one you think sounds better, doesn't matter what people on the internet say when you can hear it for yourself! but report back and let us know which you thought sounded better if they are in fact different.