1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Holliwood, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Holliwood

Holliwood

Sep 13, 2011
    Mid 80's Kramer Spector, neck thru, p/J pups - $200

Good Deal?

2. MrDOS

MrDOS Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Any time you can get a good playing bass for $200 it's good, in my book. I always check closed eBay auctiosn to see what things are going for.
    Can you play the bass in-person first?

3. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I'd say good deal - they go much higher on Ebay.

4. Holliwood

Holliwood

Sep 13, 2011
    no audition unfortunately but from everything I've heard and seen, these basses are great.
    I think it's a Forum 3 but the pup controls are laid out like a Forum 1(which I doubt it is cause no Dimarzios or Duncans).
    Looks mint from all the pix.

Been gassin for one of these for a while.

5. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    Can you post a pic? I had a mid 80's Spector. If it's truly that model, it's worth a lot more than $200.

6. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    is it a Kramer or a Spector? two very different basses... Even the Kramer Era Spectors are very different from Kramers..

7. Holliwood

Holliwood

Sep 13, 2011
    It's a Forum bass.

Has Spector designed neck, Spector/EMG active pups and circuitry but strat body with pointy headstock.

It is not the NS bodied Spector by Kramer like Nikki Sixx used to play

8. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    I just bought a Kramer 710 (google them. it might be the same one) recently for about $100 shipped to me. Good bass. But not worth much more than that. I wouldn't spend $200 on it.

9. Holliwood

Holliwood

Sep 13, 2011
    710/720 is definitely NOT same bass.

100 series were made in Korea.

Forum series were made by ESP in Japan.

Forum 1's MSRP'd around $1500 usd in mid 80's.
    The rest of the series priced progressively down as you went through the models (1-4)

Kramer did alot of scatterbrained things in production like changing production locations, electronics and necks in the middle of model years and across model lines and not keeping good records.
    This has led to alot of "one Kramer is the same as the next" attitude, which they definitely are not.