1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good headphones for use with Vox Amplug Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockin982, May 11, 2011.

1. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    I just recently picked up an Amplug Bass for practicing in Starbucks (long story but that how I get in my 2
    Hours practice a day) and I had some Audio Technica ATH-D40fs cans, based on some recommendations here about good cans for practicing bass. But the Amplug isn't able to drive the AT's to a decent volume level, and I really don't want to have to futz with another piece of gear like a headphone amp. Can anyone recommend some good phones that don't take a ton of power to drive at a decent volume? I'm willing to spend a $100 for a great set of cans, less would be nice if I can still get a great sound.

2. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    nada?

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Monster In-Ear Speakers are the best ear buds i've ever heard and i use them for bass practice.

Musicians Friend has sales under $100. sometimes! gl.

4. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    I don't really know, I use headphones with my bass but generally they are plugged into a small combo amp I have, and I LOVE the headphones I have they are Sony MDR NC-300's coupled with the Noise Reduction technology, they don't need to be very loud at all in order to hear perfectly, and they are amazing headphones.

5. I have an old assed AKG K-77s that are "basically" junk but they do really well with the Amplug....and, quite by accident, I plugged my Bose QC15s into it one day and they worked really well also (I usually only use the Bose when I am flying) but I was a little surprised at how well they worked...

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

If you look hard you can find MAudio M10s cheap..

7. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    One to avoid are the Sony mdrv500, they start to distort on low notes even when the volume isn't very high.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Senheiser HD 280 Pro gets my vote.

9. Audio Technica ATH-M50. The price really goes all over on this one. Its popular...

10. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    But is there any chance it will have the same issue as my ATH-D40's ... i.e. not easily driven by the 2 AAA battery-powered Amplug? (And for that matter does it also come with a 1/4" plug? with the adapter, the plug sticks out so far that I feel like one careless bump could break the plastic Amplug)

11. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    Around the ear headphones with noise canceling. Bose QC's are great, the Seenheiser's and in my experience (DJ, music afficianado, and bassist) the SONY MD NC-300's or anything better in their line is fantastic. I think you can get the Sony's for around a buck 30. All of those three brands, (excellent suggestion for Sennheiser above) come with adapters that make the plug virtually no bigger at all. Good quality parts.

12. Also, I forgot to mention another cheap setr of cans....The AKG M70s....Hell, think I paid 35 bucks for mine and they work like a champ for most applications (especially the AMPLUG) but I've had this set lying around my practice room for the last few years....I don't know if they are even made anymore....

13. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    From AudioTechnica site:
    m40's -> Impedance: 66 ohms
    m50's -> Impedance: 38 ohms

m50's would be easily driven.

14. My iPod seems to push it fine with the iRig, and my iPod for general music listening...

Also, the 1/4" plug unscrews to reveal an 1/8" plug...

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    d40fs sensitivity: 102 dB
    m50 sensitivity: 99 dB

Don't know if the m50 would really be any louder.

EDIT: Actually, I wonder what they really mean by sensitivity.

16. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
    This is what I use. Works great.

17. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Mine too.

18. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Disclaimer: The following is based on the use of VOX amPlug Classic Rock, not he Bass version.

I am going to order the bass version, but even the Classic Rock version works on bass. Does not seem to roll off in the bass region.

On topic: I use Koss Porta Pros with mine. Beats all cheapo earplugs any day.

19. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    Hey dude I just saw this thread. I posted one on pretty much the same topic earlier. Did you find a suitable pair of headphones in the end?

20. I was previously using Philips SHP2700, but found the volume to be too soft even though I have maxed out the volume knob on my bass, the volume and gain knob on the amplug. I have switched to the cheapo samsung in ears that comes with my phone and the volume is louder. But found the in ears to be farting at high volume, going to try with my UE600 next.