Good headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Sep 7, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone I just had my first day of school and for a music composition class we need a set of headphones. My teacher says you can get a good pair for 30 dollars canadian and I was wondering what are some companys that make quality headphones for this price?
  2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    radio shack?
    for a decent set of headphones at a good price check out
    senheiser hd 280 pros
    under 100 easy
    and really great- better than the sure 7506 imo.
  3. I am using several sets of Behringer HPS3000 headphones ($20 US) in an around my home studio and for other purposes and I am quite happy with them, I even take them along when doing sessions. I have a number of quality headphones collected over the years Senheisser, Sony, Koss and others and I really like the Behringers over all of the others.
  4. BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    some cheap headphones that are really decent are:

Sennheiser px-100's or AKG K-26p

I have a large collection of headphones, mostly high-dollar stuff but out of the cheap ones, these two do really well.

I might also suggest a pair of Grado headphones, the sr-60 model are hard to beat! by far the best sub-hundred dollar cans for portable player use. Sony 7506 or Sennheser HD-280 pro are great cans too especially for studio work, I own both as well. The cans that are on my head the most though are Grado SR-125's with the soft earpads.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You can get great casual listening headphones for ~$30 these days. They may not be amazing, but they will be adequate for listening to music in just about any setting.

If you're looking for monitoring headphones, or more serious listening headphones, you'd be hard pressed to find anything worth it in that price range.

I made tons of music using $30 philips headphones that I thought were pretty decent, but ultimately, since I've gotten my Sennheiser HD 280s, I can't believe I ever thought that.

That's also my recommendation for this thread. If you search, you might be able to find them for as cheap as $60 or $70, since they usually sell for ~$100 new. They are excellent headphones.
  6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    How about trying a pair of AKG K271 Studio?