1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Online resource for Transcribed Bass lines in Standard Notation?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Nov 21, 2018.

1. citizenchris099

citizenchris099 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry if there is a sticky or if this isn't the appropriate forum for this sort of question.
    Summary really says it all. I'm looking for a good place to find transcribed basslines of popular songs in a variety of genres.
    I'm frustrated with sites such as Fender Play that offer up TAB only.
    Or other sites that have tons of transcriptions arranged for piano. They have Bass Clef parts but they aren't really for Bass Guitar persay...rather left hand piano.

2. Good luck finding what you ask about. Bass lines are really not all that complicated if you follow the active chord and play notes of that chord. Yes, I know, which notes. The root, the five, the eight with the 3, or b3 and the 7 or b7 thrown in for color. Flatted 3 and 7 for minor chords....

In my good ole boy hobby band the R-5-8-5 does just about everything I need. It's the beat and the groove that is important. Next is calling attention to the active root. Next is not stepping on toes, this is normally accomplished with less is more.

For all that I need to have sheet music, standard notation or fake chord on the song. Once armed with the chord that is active, I'm good to go, if someone is singing the song and the drummer is laying down the beat.

Just look for sheet music that gives the chords.

3. citizenchris099

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    All due respect chief...I understand the theory behind how to construct bass lines. I've "written" quite a few of my own to accompany pop standards....but you know...thanks(?)

4. citizenchris099

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Guess I'll stick to my Hal Leonard books.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999