Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Strings for tapping anyone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ArtisFallen, Aug 12, 2004.

1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    just need some ideas for good brands and styles to check out for my home-made 4 string fretted. i'm more of a tapping guy so i need something that has a nice tight tension on a 34" scale, and responds well to the light attack of tap.

if any more info than that is necessary just let me know. thanks all for your help

2. DR LO RIDERS
    Oh yes.

3. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    +1

the best strings for tapping i've ever tried.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I use DR Lo-Beams and Marcus, but the stainless Hi-Beams are so responsive to a tapping style, they could drive you wild if you're thinking of an Entwistle-like "typewriter" technique.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    There are only 3 or 4 actual manufacturers of strings. Get the cheapest light guage stainless set you can get (like Vinci, they own their own factory) and with the savings buy a good graphic EQ. LaBella is another good one. Elixirs are wicked expensive, and I doubt the coating would hold up to extended slapping and tapping. Just go with stainless, nickels sound deader. (Is that even a word?)

6. Light gauge SS strings.

Tapered ends might be more responsive too.

7. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    +2

I just got some Marcus Miller Fat Beams and I'm looking foward to trying those out.

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i had a set of elixirs last me 7 months on my spector, and i slap and tap heavily, and finger funk like a mofo, so i disagre

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    D'Addario XL Lights (100-40)

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Zon Ultrasonic SS lights are the best string that I have used for tapping. The SS is bright and the tension is light, which IMO is what you want for tapping, not high tension.

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hey Lyle, were those the Nanoweb, or Polyweb ones? I need a set that lasts. I'm not ashamed to admit if I'm wrong, it just seems like the coating would come off over time...