1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a slightly dishonest ebay proposal...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 12, 2009.

1. I have the red bike in my sig on ebay, & have gotten a few bids. A guy just asked me if I had the original receipt, so he could claim to be the original owner &(illicitly)qualify for the warranty. :meh:
    I have no intentions of doing this or even indirectly facillitating it, but I'm interested in my TB brothers' thoughts on the matter- what would you do? Specifically, how would you politley & professionally explain to this person that there's no stinkin' way?

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    "i'm sorry, but i don't have the original receipt any more"

3. I actually haven't found it(haven't looked very hard), but perhaps ironically, I don't want to lie to the guy. Having disclosed from the get-go that he is willing to(correct me if I'm wrong)potentially defraud a large business(Specialized), I'd prefer not to deal w/him, just to cover my own ace, plus I just don't want any part of even a small-potatoes ripoff. Perhaps humorously, I don't really want to *just not talk to* the dude(rude :rolleyes:)- although I may do just that.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Is this potential grifter local to you or the location where the bike was purchased? It could look seemingly suspicious from someone from, say, Florida, to be claiming to be the owner of an item purchased 5 years ago in California.

Then again, people do move. Just tell the guy not to be an assclown.

5. The guy is also asking about a local pickup(I haven't disclosed my exact location in the ad)so I assume he's at least in Cali.

Edit: I think I'll post a link to this thread in Maki's 2 cents thread- yeah, that's the ticket. :cool:

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    To be honest, I think you're making this way too difficult.

Tell him the receipt isn't available. That isn't a lie, because you aren't making it available to him.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Doesnt the warranty cover up for the product regardless of the owner if you can prove it had been bought in the store it was bought?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The warranty is available to the original buyer, which you are not. Sorry sir.

-Mike

9. Well, it's a moot point now as the bike sold to a different buyer(although I may seek TB wisdom on that one too- it's from a 'non-confirmed' address :meh:). That said, I had pretty much made up my mind that I wouldn't give up the receipt, whether I found it or not; I was just curious as to the general TB sentiment.
    Lastly, I believe Specialized warranties cover only the original owner, & it's only 3 or maybe 5 years from purchase for the frame & 1 on parts.

Edit: What Mike said. :cool:

10. You da man, Mike. That's all that needs to be said.

11. Alright, I'd like not to make another thread, so I'll ask here- what does the term 'unconfirmed address' mean to you? I'm not finding anything out about my buyer, beyond a 99% positive feedback rating...

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I don't know the details, but PayPal's buyer and seller protections only apply if the buyer has a "confirmed" address, and you ship to that address.

13. Yeah, that's what I gathered. I intend to dig a bit before I ship this off; I'll keep you all posted...