Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got Bass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Yes, I do.

Now that shirt is lucky no matter how you pronounce it.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Since I'm a fish guy, would you tell me a
    *little* bit more about it...

Like where you caught it, what species, fresh or
    salt etc, for those of us who care about
    *cough* bass ...

Thor
    Fish Whore

:D

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Looks like the stripers are running, I'm jealous man! Boat? Surf casting? Fly rod?

I've always enjoyed surf casting myself. Standing on the beach with a bucket o' beers, watching the surf, talkin' BS, hands covered in Bunker blood, it's hard to beat. Poor man's heaven.

I'd give alot to live as close to the water as you Jeffey. BTW, David Mix is also an avid fisherman, he fishes with Lou Dileone alot, and Lou taught him the bass (instrument, not fish) trade. Every time he calls for a bass I get the latest fishing report from him, and a standing invitation for some fly fishing for blues on the next visit, which I shamefully haven't taken him up on yet. I'll holler if the trip ever comes together, maybe you can break away from the bench and join us!

4. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Sure Thor. It's a salt water striped bass caught on Long Island, NY. 17 lbs, 35 inches-not a trophy by local standards but I was happy to catch it. Good eating.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That's fantastic!

What is the minimum size limit down there?

Was that recently? I thought the striper season was over. I'm with John, were you out boating, or surf casting?

Being in RI, and being WAY overdue on paying my personal fishing dues, these things are
    important!

So 'fess up some more!

Thor

6. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Our limit is 28 inches. Got that guy last nite fishing a 3oz bucktail with a twistertail. I fish the riprap at the bottom of the parkway bridges. No boat, just a 12 minute drive from my house then climb down on the rocks and start fishing. Oh and a lite rod and 10lb test-it was a good fight. One of these days I'm gonna hook up with a 50 pounder and then I'll be sorry!

7. We have the freshwater version down here. Lakes along the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers have some spectacular striper fishing--especially in August and September. And as you say--really good eating.

8. Uhhhh Steve,
    You do mean Lakes right? Please tell me you dont "eat" ANYTHING that comes out of the Cumberland River:eek:

Dave

9. Not to worry about that Dave. My angling is all done on the Tennessee. I take it from your response that everything coming from the Cumberland automatically contains 11 secret herbs and spices.

10. Jeff,

Perhaps you could use that fish's head as the model for your next scroll.

11. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Damn, bro! Nice catch. Where was this one when I was visiting? (Didja get yer ribs, by the way?)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out yet that there is one guy who really knows his scales!!

:p