1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got my new B3K today!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeavyJazz, Mar 16, 2013.

1. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    For a pedal so pricey it really comes w/o fanfair doesn't it. "Pedal in a box" - no bag, no manual, no candy... Granted it doesn't really need any, but for the price you kind of think it will arrive w some sort of "thanks" from the manufacture.

Well anyway, I happened to be cutting some tracks w a Zon 5/2 so I stuck w that bass. The B3K is quite remarkable. Full points for build quality and it has all of the features I would intuitively be looking for. At present I'm auditioning it after an AnalogMan Bi-Comp and before a Bass Ten. Favorite settings so far are of the subtle flavor: Blend at 10:00, level up 3:00, drive up to 1:30, attack on and other switch set to raw.

Yes indeed. Now I just need a Yuengling...

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    It grows on you too. Use it in conjunction with an EQ and it's like a Swiss Army Knife of snarl.

Don't ever sell it. I traded mine in a great deal on a Meatsmoke Pre, as soon as I turned my pedalboard on and started playing it felt like a piece of me was gone. The Darkglass Lack is a withdrawl worse than caffeine. Saved up fast and bought it back from the guy. Now I feel complete :D

3. I thought about doing the EQ thing with my B3K as well, but I've been in "preamp mode" for the last while and decided to go with the B7K. I was nervous about parting with my Finnish B3K, but I sold it to help fund the 7 and don't regret the decision for a split second. Got in on a sale ($330 new for a USA B7K) and it instantly replaced my Tone Hammer (which I still have and love) and it's been on ever since. The EQ is voiced perfectly and having it on board eliminates having an extra pedal on my board for EQ.

I know what you're talking about with that "Darkglass Lack." Both the B3K and B7K add a certain little something even when blended down to clean that's hard to describe and sorely missed when not on/available. I'll never part with my 7, for sure.

I ordered my B3K directly from Doug and have gotten to know him fairly well since, through chatting with him (via the Interwebz). He's a great guy and is very appreciative of his customers. His customer service is stellar and he's pretty active here on Talkbass as well, routinely popping in to answer questions and help whenever he can. While box candy is nice, I can handle not having a sticker or bag or heck, even a manual for for that matter, with service like that. I mean let's face it... I'm like many others here on TB and have had many pedals in my time, so do I REALLY need a manual? Even when there IS a manual, I usually disregard it anyway... half the fun of a pedal is gleefully twisting knobs and tweaking switches to see what it can do. :p lol

5sg.

4. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    I ordered My B3K over a year ago and got a spiffy DarkGlass beanie with the logo on it. I wonder if the Vintage will come with something similar?

5. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    If it's shipped like mine, you may get a chipped spork. Good luck!

6. Definitely.

7. HeavyJazz77, I'm so glad I came across this thread. Just received my B3K today and was having trouble getting going with it. The answer is that I was starting way too aggressive in tone. I tried out your settings and it's AWESOME! Perfect starting point. This thing really has a ton of possibilities.

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I wanna a beanie. I really dig their logo. How can I get one??

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm trying these settings tomorrow with my B7K. Sounds nice.

10. noobiebro

noobiebro

Jan 16, 2013
    I used to think that it is stupid to spend insane amounts of money for fancy handmade distortion pedals. Then I noticed that a music store near me is going out of business and selling everything off at a discount, including Darkglass pedals. So I listened some B3K demos. I NEED TO HAVE IT. Once the store opens on Monday, I'm going in and not coming out without a B3K.

11. Case candy is weird to me. If other people didn't value it any that would suit me fine since I could bin that junk instead of saving it in case I trade it. Even better, it wouldn't be there!

12. You guys make me want one so bad!
    I use a preset on my VT bass deluxe for overdrive and a Fender sub-lime for fuzz.
    Would the b3k or b7k add any different option to my set up?

13. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    How much is the discount?

I'm amazed that Prymaxe Vintage pretty much always has a nice sale going on; I got my B7K at 15% off with free shipping, which is basically as cheap as you ever find it in the classifieds.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Uuuuuhhhh, I think YES! It's been said, in the thread even, that when you don't have a darkglass in your chain, you miss it. I don't ever want darkglassitis, my B7K will never be not used. I use it in relation to my VT and it sounds awesome. I'm not sure what your setup sounds like but I do know that if you add a darkglass pedal to your chain, it will almost def sound better. And you'll never want to be without it.

15. noobiebro

noobiebro

Jan 16, 2013
    25% off. Pretty good, eh?

16. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Nice, what's the store?

17. noobiebro

noobiebro

Jan 16, 2013
  18. noobiebro

noobiebro

Jan 16, 2013
    So, I picked it up at -25% today and tested it out with my stuff. Holy moly. It truly is worth all the praise it is getting.

I compared it to Hartke VXL's distortion and the difference in clarity is like night and day. I know that is not a fair comparison, VXL does other stuff too, and costs less than half what B3K costs... but still - damn, that B3K sure is a nice overdrive.