1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gotta a Furman Power Conditioner, but do I need it?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Oct 2, 2009.

1. I probably should have started this thread BEFORE I went shopping but I had a $20 GC gift card since April and it was burning a hole in my wallet so I splurged.

Right now I have in my rack a 5 outlet power strip that's velcroed to the back of the inside of my rack with everything plugged into it. It's been working just fine but it does get a little messy with all the wires everywhere.

Is it really necessary to have a power conditioner if you don't mind the wires dangling or is my purchase worth it? I can always take this back. I haven't even opened it yet.

2. 15 hours, no replies BUMP!!!

3. Hey Capn! No it's not necessary to have a power conditioner if you don't mind the wires dangling! Unless the thing has a kewl light on the front, you want to clean up your rack of dangling wires, or you've been playing in places where there's been "bad" power...Meh if it's worth it to me, is it worth it to you since the gift card was burning a hole in your pocket!?! :D :ninja: :D

My $0.02, Russ.

4. Yeah, sometimes I do have some surges, especially when I play at my church, so in that case it may have some use to me. I had my head looked at since I thought I had fried it but it was just fine. I guess GK puts an internal emergency shut off switch in their head (thank God) so things like that don't happen. However, I had to play the rest of the service with a back up combo which absolutely sucks IMO. So maybe I will keep it. It's always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Thanks for your response.

5. No problem my Buckeye Brother! :) Hope it works well for ya!

Russ

6. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    you don't need it but they are handy for cable management. What model is it and what all are you planning on plugging into it?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any sort of "dirty power" isn't going to be cleaned up by a power conditioner, and any decent surge suppressor with noise filtering will do just as well as a Furman. Having said that, when I used a rack I used one because it was tidy. I just got the cheap one for $50, though. Worked great. No need to get a $150 model unless you like lights a lot.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bought Furmans (Rack Riders, actually) because I wanted something that could be mounted properly and that had lights.

The lights ain't that great, but better than nothing.

The only reason the surge and filter BS is still in mine is that I've been too lazy to open the units and remove the crap (none of the surge stuff has blown up in such a manner that removal is needed - though I've seen others in which removal was necessary).

If one does not need the lights, I recommend http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-rs-0615-r~7TRPM00W.htm (there is also a model with outlets on both the front and the back).

9. You know, with all your advice I think I'll take it back and spend the money somewhere else. I guess the power conditioner GAS was just envy and not necessity.