1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GR-20 Bass Synth. Need advice about GK-KIT-BG wiring!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carlospppena, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hello All:

I am putting together a Warmoth fretless. I want to use my GR-20 guitar synth with it. I have a fretted bass with GK-3B (the external unit). Someone around here (to whom I am very grateful) suggested that I should consider the internal pickup system, in other words, the GK-KIT-BG.

I checked it in the web and I like it. I just have one question. How do you connect the regular bass output to it? I like the fact that with my fretted bass, I can plug direct to my amp, or I can plug it to the synth controler, which sends the bass signal to the GR-20, and then to the amp. From the photos I have seen in the web I am not shure if the GK-KIT-BG works the same way.

Can anyone help??? How is it wired????

Thanx tons,

Carlos Peña

2. Delta T

Delta T

Oct 3, 2008
    Hi Carlos!

There is a connector on the GK Kit's circuit board that the bass pickups would connect to. (2 pins I think) If the bass has passive pickups you could just route shielded cable from the bass output jack to the GK circuit board. If it's an active bass, you could do the same thing - but you would need to have a 'dummy' plug to insert into the bass jack to turn on the electronics (or install a power switch...just remember to turn off when not using it...) I suppose you could also wire another jack connected to the circuit board and use a jumper cable...but I don't think it would be a good idea.

If you have a technically savvy friend, they could rig up an switching network that would turn on the active bass electronics whenever the GK received power from the GR synth (I believe 5 or 8 volts is sent down the cable to power the GK's componants)

Hope this helps!

Dave

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    There's a nice schematic drawing that comes with the GK-KIT which shows where to connect the regular pickup to the GK circuit board. It's quite simple really.

The old version didn't, but if you buy a new one now it might have a feature that'll activate the active electronics in your bass when the GK is active. I think so because the guitar version has this feature.