1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grabber case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbickle2, Apr 10, 2010.

1. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    i have a '75 Grabber but the original hard case has seen better days. Anyone know of something it would fit or where i could have one made for less than an arm & a leg?

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    eBay?

3. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Gibson is selling the Grabber again. Maybe you can get a case through them???

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    other than getting one from Gibson, the only way would be to find a used ATA case and cutting new foam for it.. or, find a newer lightweight case online and install new foam..

the original cases were kind of lame.. mine is beat up.. the latch on the bottom edge of the case is gone, so there is a large space that is missing.. mine is covered with duct tape, holding it together..

eventually i'll look for another case for it.. or, repair the case it's in now, which would be a huge hassle.. LOL..

call around and look for a used ATA case it will fit in.. you should be able to find one for under 100 bucks..

5. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    figured id bump this because im having an issue as well. does anyone know of a replacement case that i could? i read that a coffin case would work, anyone know if thats true?

and i know this is the wrong forum, but if anyone is selling one please PM me.

6. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    somebody has to know a solution to this!

7. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Ive heard the coffins will work, i just cant bring myself to buy one. Theyre pretty effing ugly. Theres also a used vintage Grabber/Ripper case on Ebay but they want $330 buy it now. No thank you

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yeah I was looking for a hardcase for my G3 for a while, didn't come up with anything that was remotely worth buying considering that I wasn't that concerned about it in the first place. I'd say ebay if you want to shell out for a cheap original or find something custom. You could probably just go with one of those generic square cases and put in some extra padding to fit the bass.

Anyone know if gibson is selling grabber/ripper cases for the since they made the reissues or did they only have as many made as they needed?

9. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I have a generic bass case that my rick copy fits in but the Grabber is too wide to fit in the case.

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

There are some Protec semi-rigid bags that will work.. many of the freak botiques use these..

11. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    so i tried to snag a coffin case and even that doesnt work, the body fits but its not deep enough to work with the head stock bend.

why in gods name is it so difficult to find a case for this bass? lol

again, if anybody knows where to snag a grabber case plleeeease let me know.

12. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Someone out there has to know the answer to these questions.

13. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have an original Grabber case from '74 in fairly good shape. PM me if you're interested. I also have a de-fretted Grabber neck that I tried to sell here a while back, but no takers.

14. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    PM sent, extremely interested.

15. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Kind of a side note, anyone know what's the deal with all the different colors the cases came lined in? I've got the the reddish/pink color but have also seen purple & I believe blue as well.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Problem with the coffin case imo is they are too long. Since that rear shaping end up being empty space or accesorries area. Anyway, dunno bout hard cases for but I do know the BC Rich Deluxe bass gig bag will fit those. They are very nice imo and normally $55 thru internet stores.