Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graduation Present

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ethon, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    So here is my situation:

This fall quarter I'm going to be attending Ohio University for Audio/Music Production, and I'm still wondering what I should get for graduation. I suppose the standard choice would be to ask for a 12" Powerbook laptop, but, also running through my head is to ask for a digidesign 002 workstation, because music production IS what I want to do.

It's a hard choice really. I mean, I plan on getting both eventually anyways, so. Also, I already have my brothers old P3 900 Toshiba laptop I could use until I pick up my Powerbook. I dont know :bawl:

What do you guys think?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Don't you think it's a bit early to be talking about graduation presents before you even start taking classes?

3. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    High School graduation

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe it's time to worry less about what to ask for, and appreciate the fact that you're parents are financially secure enough to buy you a present of status, appreciate the fact that you've graduated high school and am able to move on to college, and give a sincere thank you for any present that your parents give you.

5. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Well, I'm paying for all of my college myself...so.

6. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    It's not like I'm getting handed a free education; I've worked incredibly hard for the grades I have received and my scholarships. In addition, I am extremely appreciative of my parents support and willingness to buy me something nice for graduation.

Can we get back to my actual question?

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Congratulations. As I said in my first post, you should be very proud of those things, and never once did I suggest otherwise. But I'm sorry, I'm distracting from your real topic.

Get a Ferrari.

8. I'll be graduating HS in may. Honestly I think graudation parties and presents are a crock, but I'm going to take what I can get. I'm asking for a bunch of stuff too, so don't worry. But it really is ridiculous that we get stuff for doing what we are supposed to do.

9. How did I guess something like this would be within the first three replies? There really seems to be alot of this around here, whether its kids getting basses, amps, cars, graduation presents and whathaveyou. He asked what he should get, not if he deserved it.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I agree with what the tictac guy just said. What's with the attitude towards the fact that his parent's can afford to get him something expensive? He needs help with the choice. I dunno... there's gotta be something else behind that.

Anyhow I don't know anything about either of those things but I'd always go for the computer first because when it comes to recording god only knows what's going to come out next month. Recording equipment becomes absolete so freaking fast lately that it's terrifying to buy anything. I bought Digidesign's Session 8, the first PC based hard disk recording system when it first came out. With the hard drive and all the accessories I needed it cost me around $5,000. About 4 years later it was entirely useless and I literally put it out on the curb. During a snowstorm. I remember it well. I was incredibly upset about the whole thing.

Similar experience paying $1400 bucks for a D16 that a month later they upgraded and discontinued. Sold that for around $500 before it became totally worthless. Just bought a ZOOM for $300 that blows away the $1400 D16.

I'd hold out on the recording gear.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    computers are pretty useful for college. my school ASSUMES that you own one. it's a requirement to have one at UF. not sure about ohio university.

...just trying to add to the discussion. i'm not recommending one thing over the other. you'll have to make the decision yourself, ultimately.

oh, i got luggage for my graduation present. :meh: very useful, though. pretty funny: it had this hint of, "congratulations, now get the hell out."

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've got to agree. You're better off with a really nice laptop with an upgraded sound card, RAM, and a DVD burner. It'll come in very useful in so many applications that recording *software* will just be a *piece* of the puzzle.

Get a nice laptop.:D

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I vote for something along the lines of the Digi, although I personally would go for something firewire based instead and a good firewire drive to go with it. You aren't going to be doing much multitracking (recording or playback) with the stock laptop drive that comes with that Toshiba or with a Mac laptop.

The P3 laptop is more than adequate for any school or recording tasks you throw at it. My wife still uses a P3/850 for her main machine and I've done 18 channels of field multitracking with it a few times with no problems. The only thing that the CPU and memory matters for is plugins, and with a P3/900 you're already able to get past the "more than you really should be using anyway" point.

14. Can't you put recording software on a laptop?

15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'd say laptop buddy. My mom bought me a top-of-the-line Gateway desktop computer for graduation when I was on my way to college. It got me through 4 years before I got my laptop. That Gateway was a tank... definitely very worthy. I would much rather have an adequate computer going to college than a piece of recording gear when you probably won't have room for a studio setup anyway.

Have fun at Athens... big party school bro. Invite me down for Halloween and we'll have a good ol' time.

Jake

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL