Grammy Awards

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Anyone see the Grammys on Sunday night? Basswise, Sting was playing his old P-bass, singing "Roxanne" and doing the Beatles' "I Saw her Standing There" in a Fab Four tribute.

There was also a tribute to funk music, with Earth Wind & Fire's Verdine White dancing around on his bass playing "Shining Star" and later George Clinton came onstage with Parliament Funkadelic and the great Bootsy Collins made his presence:

How many pickups can a man have???
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    As many as Bootsy wants! :)
  3. You failed to mention Robert Randolf and the Family Band, with the always great Danyel(sp) Morgan, and lets not forget Outkast's Big Boi doing The Way You Move.
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yup. RRFB was definately the highlight for me. I basically watched the show just for them.
  5. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    What's the name of Bootsy's bass? That thing is just messed up.
  6. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I remember catching that segment of the Grammys and being almost floored by the overwhelming amount of funk produced on stage. Being a bass player for a funk band myself, it gave me a great deal of hope for my band's future. I'd have to say Samuel L. Jackson's repeated referral to the onslaught of funk as a congregation was the highlight of the entire awards show for me. Good stuff!
  7. Splash Neely

Splash Neely

Jan 27, 2004
    I don't watch the Grammy's,none of the music nominated interests me at all.Somehow Sting still manages to appear on every damn awards show.I don't need to watch hiphop artitsts and pop divas try to outsmut each other.

So it just figures that Old Man Clinton would be onstage,and OF COURSE with Bootsy when my attention is elsewhere.Damn!Everytime P-Funk comes through town Bootsy is never with them.Is it just my city that gets screwed or does Bootsy only play special occasions?
  8. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I think it's referred to as the Space Bass (or was it Star Bass?). I think he's got several of them.
  9. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    God, that was one lame version of "I saw Her Standing There." Dave Matthews singing sharp and screwing up the lyrics, some tribute.

10. I actually thought it was cool. Not necessarily for the people involved, but the fact that in this age of "live" bands playing along to prerecorded tracks, I thought when Sting missed his chord change or when Pharell messed up on the beat it sounded kind of endearing in a way.

I'm sure no matter WHO would have played on that Beatles tribute, someone would be pissed and thought it was a lame performance anyway.
  11. I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Prince with his always awesome band. Also, am I the only one who think George Clinton sounds awful!!!! He messed up a line and his voice is gone!
  12. I agree, Prince and the NPG rocked.
    Even though I grew up with The Revolution...

The Revolution = personality
    The NPG = chops