1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graphtech Nuts - Singing the praise!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kyral210, Sep 14, 2008.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Firstly I have no sponsorship with Graphtech. I wish i did, but I don't. This post is about telling people how amazing I think Graphtech nuts are.

On every single guitar and bass I own, I have installed a graphtech nut (black TUSQ) because the tone is perfect, and the tuning stability is second to none! I have even left my bass for a week and its still in tune without any changes!

I recommend these to everyone on TB who wants to modify their bass to make it the best they can. Just remember to get the clearance above the 1st fret right (capo on third fret) and measure. I have had to shim every nut so far in order to get the correct height, which robs the tone, but it still plays great, so nevermind.

:bassist:

2. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    I recommend the nut but I don't recommend their shipping department.
    Waited nine days and received the wrong nut.

3. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ebay

4. GraphTechGray

GraphTechGray

Aug 30, 2011
    Lowtide, most people don't realize that Graphtech is in Canada. Orders ship quickly but get hung up in customs crossing the border. :mad: You can always order from your local dealer.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Really? A shim, under the nut, makes a significant difference, that you can actually hear?

6. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    they dont want a kilo hidden inside to cross the border :meh:

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, i don't buy that one for a second.

what if the tightly glued-in shim is of wood that's just as hard as the wood of the neck, like say maple?

8. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I've been thinking of putting a Graphtech nut on my VM P-bass but I'll have my local luthier make it from scratch from a large blank that they buy. Too risky using a pre-cut nut IMO....

9. I get them from Warmoth. No muss, no fuss.

10. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Banned

Nov 8, 2009
    Taking good care of your nuts is just plain a smart policy.

11. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

From Warmoth's website....Tech Tips:

"Tech Tips:

There is a popular misconception that one may buy generic nuts to fit existing necks. If optimum results are expected, this simply is not so. A nut must be cut to specific geometric parameters to function properly and these parameters are dictated by the type of neck it is to be used on and the angle with which the strings break from the nut towards the individual tuners."

Like I said....too risky IMO

12. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    What's the best nut shim material for metal?

13. I use thin strips of zinc.